ABS Light on

Any issues relating to suspension, steering and brakes.

by Ivorcally » Wed Jun 30, 2004 1:30 pm

Hi All,

Had my left drive shaft go last Thursday and had to limp home with the steering wheel trying to break my fingers [img]/sad.gif[/img] ! Anyway, bought a replacement shaft from Vaux and noticed that it has finer teeth on the ABS ring than the old one. On fitting yesterday everything seems fine except that the ABS warning light comes on after about half a mile and stays on. Could this be the different ring, or have I disturbed the sensor or something?

Any suggestions gratefully received !

Keith [img]/smile.gif[/img]
Ivorcally

by Mel » Wed Jun 30, 2004 4:31 pm

There are 2 types of ring fitted to the drive shaft. You have to replace like with like.
The ABS gets a pulsed signal from this ring that generates the speed signal for that wheel. The frequency of this signal is directly related to the number of teeth on the ring. Because the ABS is seeing a different frequency from the new shaft, compared to what it is receiving from the other drive shaft it is not happy. Under normal driving, in a straight line, the ABS will get signals from all the sensors at the same frequency. If under braking a wheel locks, the signal from that wheel sensor reduces rapidly in frequency/stops . This is how the ABS knows a wheel has locked, so it then releases the braking pressure to that wheel.
Mel

by Ivorcally » Thu Jul 01, 2004 10:40 am

Thanks Mel,

Went back to Vaux dealer this morning and they confirmed that it was the wrong part with their Tech 1 gismo. Have to wait now for the replacement to come in then it's all to be done again [img]/sad.gif[/img]

The bloke in the parts shop and I have learned something - the choice of 43 or 29 teeth on their list of parts for drive shafts refers to the ABS ring, not either spline.

Ivorcally

by Mel » Thu Jul 01, 2004 12:00 pm

Just out of interest, how much have you paid for the drive shaft.Did you get tradeclub discount? Think I paid about £88 for one side and £80 for the other bout 2 years ago. This was with tradeclub discount . Local motor factors couldnt get anywhere near it [img]/biggrin.gif[/img]
Mel

by Ivorcally » Fri Jul 02, 2004 2:44 pm

Hi Mel,

I think it was about £95 including VAT (trade club)

Ivorcally

by Ivorcally » Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:33 am

Hi,

Correct shaft now fitted and ABS light has gone out.

Ivorcally

by Smurf » Tue Jul 13, 2004 11:00 am

Nice one Keith - happy motoring [img]/smile.gif[/img]
Smurf