rear wheel bearings and brakes

Any issues relating to suspension, steering and brakes.

rear wheel bearings and brakes

by chandler2572 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:06 pm

[font=Lucida Console] [/font]Just had my car serviced but was warned my V6 will not make it through another MOT.. I have some expensive work to be done on the rear end.
My mechanic can change the rear brake disc/drums but I have a more serious problem.
he told me the rear wheel bearing on one side needs doing. He enquired at his local vauxhall garage and they said that they have never done one!!! he told me that he has to take the whole rear strut to do it. is this right? Can anyone help? maybe with a picture guide on the best way to do this..any help appreciated..thanks! please PM me with any suggestions.
chandler2572

by Calibra_Mike » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:57 pm

It is a bit of a big job, only because the whole rear hub has to be dismantled, but a garage should be up to the job, after all thats what their job is, one thing Ive found is no matter how hard a job seems it can be done, Vauxhall wouldn't have designed a car that the rear bearing couldn't be changed on...

If the garage does do it, then expect it to be a bit pricey as most garage work is, my advice would be to buy a haynes manual and you'll see whats involved, if I remember its a 4 spanner job which means an experienced DIY mechanic should be able to do it, so its not the end of the world...

Rear discs and pads you can do yourself, ive just changed mine and took around an hour, that would save you some dosh to put towards the bearing work...
VXT RACING DEVELOPMENTS - Designed by Vauxhall... Modified by Me...
The VXT Calibra, back on the road Oct'13... the Adventure Continues...
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Phantom » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:17 pm

yes the rear trailing arm will need to be removed to get the bearing out along with a press if you have access to one
Phantom