Spot the problem!

Any issues relating to suspension, steering and brakes.

Spot the problem!

by Leigh » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:02 pm

OK, after many years of Calibra ownership you get to notice the small differences that are causing you grief..

Had a knocking noise start a couple of days ago on backing into the drive (slight kerb to go over, the lowered bits at drive entrances..), then today when accelerating/braking/speedbumps etc.

Only the trained eye will be able to spot the minor differences between the drivers and passenger sides that I saw tonight when I jacked her up after work..

Look closely now.....

Drivers side:

Passenger side:

Hmmm....can you tell the difference..!

Just as easy and cheap I guess to renew both wishbones?

Of course it would have to be passenger side, currently one of the locking bolts is stuck (wrecked 2 keys so far trying to remove it), another job for the helpful fitter at my work (he got one of the rear bolts out the other week even after the top had sheared off from me trying with a socket hammered onto it)
Leigh

by thegeth » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:11 pm

Mine had gone and i got them and two new wishbones with all bushes for £30 off ebay
thegeth

by RobbieV » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:13 pm

I would change both wishbones and antiroll bar links, at least thats both sides renewed :)
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Leigh » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:53 pm

Yup, sounds like a plan,
just wish it had happened on monday then I'd have had time to get the parts delivered from ebay. Might try the local motor factors and see what the price difference is.
Leigh

by Calibra_Mike » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:33 am

I have an anti roll bar link for sale - £5 including postage...
VXT RACING DEVELOPMENTS - Designed by Vauxhall... Modified by Me...
The VXT Calibra, back on the road Oct'13... the Adventure Continues...
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Leigh » Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:51 pm

Thanks for the offer mate, but I've just come back from the local motor factors , 2 wishbones, 2 ARB links for £48 (£18inc VAT for wishbone, £6 inc VAT for a ARB link), and they had them in stock.
(phoned another local factors first and they wanted £25 +VAT per wishbone, and £9 + VAT per link !! err I think not..

Picked up a bottle of Autogylm SRP while I was there as well so if I've time left over I'll give her a treat , LOL

Now just the small issue of getting the stupid f*cking locking bolt removed, then the fun and games of my first ever wishbone change.
Leigh

by tazz666 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:57 pm

hi there mate they arent bad to change on the later calibra the earlier ARB links on the older calibra's are the nightmares
tazz666

by Leigh » Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:16 pm

Cheers Taz, I've read a few of the posts on here and was already glad I've got the later type, was/am more concerned with doing the wishbones, between stubborn bolts and a few people having had them shear etc .. :-(
Leigh

by tazz666 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:08 pm

ive never had that problem with the bolts myself mate and ive done every cali and cavaliers that i have had heres hop[ing that it goes ok doke for you mate :D
tazz666

by Calibra_Mike » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:17 pm

use a blowtorch on the bots that go into the body/subframe, it will make them a lot easier to undo, the problem is the captive nuts inside the subframe have a tendency to rust and snap off, this happened to me and it was a right pain to sort out....
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Leigh » Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:26 pm

I've just been out under the car after I got in from work and tried to squirt some penetrating oil and WD40 around/at/in the various bolts, in the vain hope it will ease the aggro come the time I actually attempt it,
nothings going to happen until mr-stuborn-big-locking-wheel-bolt comes out tho..
:-(
Leigh

by Leigh » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:00 pm

Well I did the broken ARB yesterday, didn't have time to do drivers side, tho if it's as easy as the passengers I should get it done at the w/end. I'm afraid I chickened out of attempting the wishbones this time tho, they will have to be done another w/end (or by a proper mechanic , LOL )

Really was pleasantly suprised how easy the ARB was to do, even when the smaller bottom nut snapped when I was trying to undo it (of course).

Also replaced sunroof this weekend (yay, now I can have the headlining back in since it's been out from Aug 2008!), and the horn , so a fairly productive few days, happy I got that stuck wheel bolt out on my own as well...I think my seat subframe is the only thing that didn't go according to plan.
Leigh

by BazV6er » Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:58 pm

leigh,

even i thought the wishbones were hard to change over but i did both sides on my 16v,as tazz said the real nightmare is the older pendulem arb links (i swore the queens name when i got mine on with a lube

cant wait to see how even easier they are to do on my v6 hehe ...
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Leigh » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:38 pm

Cheers Baz, I still want to try them, just got a bit late in the day to be starting something I was a bit dubious about, and needed the car the next day for work.

Was really pleasantly suprised how easy the ARB was tho, hope the drivers side is a similarly painless experience when I change it. Sounds daft I know, but that one ARB link seems to have made a hell of a difference to the feel of the car, it must have been suffering a fair bit before it fairly gave up the ghost and sheared completely. Quite looking forward to when I've got the other one, plus wishbones, plus new track rod ends (passenger side bolts are seized/stuck on those..grrr)
Leigh

by Calibra_Mike » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:44 pm

pendulem arb links are easy to fit... hacksaw off old one, lube up new one with washing up liquid and slid on roll bar :)
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

Next