Do I need new Arms? (No armless jokes)

Any issues relating to suspension, steering and brakes.

by KILLibra » Tue Jul 06, 2004 7:06 am

Need advice pweeeese guys

After getting fed up with an annoying knock from the front offside I recently had my suspension checked and found one of the bushes was split.

The mechanic then told me that the lower arm had some play in it and would need to be replaced soon, and if I replaced one, might as well do the other at the same time, oh and you will need the tracking done aswell - the job quickly changed from a couple of quid for a bush to a wallet wobbling £185 all in.

If its gottta be done its gotta be done and these guys have always done a good job in the past.

Also has anyone heard of JR Suspension, I was planning on dropping my 16v on Gmax springs (40mm) but have found a full kit (springs and shocks) which will drop 60mm at an unbelievable price. The kit is for a 4x4 Turbo - how different is this from a 16v and will it fit.
KILLibra

by skellem » Tue Jul 06, 2004 9:07 am

I did mine myself. Cost me £40 each for the arms from my local car spares shop and it took about 1 1/2 hours per side.
skellem

by Chriso » Tue Jul 06, 2004 11:43 pm

It is possible to whack the bushes out of the arm and whack new ones in, however this means removing the arms and hitting the bushes with a lump hammer (in and out). I got a guy from lookers to do this for me as a foreginer. It past its MOT but they did advise me on it...

As for suspension, im sure u know ur turbo is lower anyway so you will actually get a drop that is 60mm lower from standard models I would imagine. Think the turbo is 20mm lower but I may stand to be corrected, this would therefore mean a 40mm drop. Good luck
Chriso