CV Joint

Any issues relating to suspension, steering and brakes.

by craigmcd82 » Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:34 am

Hi all,

Whenever Im on full right hand lock, I get a loud knocking from the front nearside wheel.

This means the CV Joint is going right??

If it is, does anyone know the part I need??

When i got the exhaust done the garage mentioned it was going, but mumbled something about having to get the part with the right number of ABS teeth..... :?

I was plannin on getting the part myself cos i know someone who can do it cheap.

Is Autovaux the best place to get the part from?

Cheers.
craigmcd82

by skellem » Wed Jul 07, 2004 11:13 am

It may be the anti roll bar link. Check that before doing the CV joint as it's a lot cheaper and easier!

Autovaux normally ends up cheapest, I get most of my stuff from them!
skellem

by craigmcd82 » Wed Jul 07, 2004 3:23 pm

Cheers Gunter,

But Im afraid youre dealing with the incompetant here.... what am i lookin for exactly?

And can i fix it myself?

Cheers.
craigmcd82

by skellem » Wed Jul 07, 2004 3:32 pm

You can do it yourself if it's the easy type like mine. Julians was different and a total pig! The anti roll bar is a bar that goes from one side of the car to the other and is connected on each side using the link. It's round and has a diameter of about 15mm. The link is basicly a kind of bracket with a few rubber bungs and a stud that fixes the bar onto the swing arm.

Does anyone have any pics of it? I don't!
skellem

by craigmcd82 » Wed Jul 07, 2004 4:31 pm

Ive had a quick nose, am i right thinking that its connected to the top of the wishbones?
If this is the case, from what I can tell both sides seem fairly secure, so i guess its still OK...

The knocking is fairly uniform, it happens when turning right sharply at very low speeds, and gets worse as i get faster. Its coming from the left wheel and goes away once im no longer on full lock.

Im starting to think CV joint again, but could be wrong. Any thoughts?
craigmcd82

by Naz » Wed Jul 07, 2004 4:37 pm

If the knocking is continous its more likely to be the CV joint itself. Probebly you have a tear in the boot and its let all the grease out.

THe part you want is called 'CV Joint' . If you ring AutoVaux and tell them the yr, and model of your cally they will be able to help you. They may need the VIN number too.

If you tell me what engine code you have, i will have a look on EPC and will give you a part number.I would expect by your definition, your n/s CV jooint is knackered.

YOu could laso pick up a full drive shaft from a scrap yard much cheaper than a new cv joint. But make sure there are no rips in the cv boot.

Need anymore help jst ask

Cheers
Naz

by Naz » Wed Jul 07, 2004 4:43 pm

If the knocking is continous its more likely to be the CV joint itself. Probebly you have a tear in the boot and its let all the grease out.

THe part you want is called 'CV Joint' . If you ring AutoVaux and tell them the yr, and model of your cally they will be able to help you. They may need the VIN number too.

If you tell me what engine code you have, i will have a look on EPC and will give you a part number.I would expect by your definition, your n/s CV jooint is knackered.

YOu could laso pick up a full drive shaft from a scrap yard much cheaper than a new cv joint. But make sure there are no rips in the cv boot.

Need anymore help jst ask

Cheers

jst had a look, for all calibras, excpet 4x4, you need the last eight digit off your VIN number:

FOr VIN number up to .......S9000563 the part number is:90334948
FOr VIN number from .......S9000564 to the end, part number is:90496368(this number may have been replaced by 90498412.

But please double check to make sure when ordering.
Naz

by craigmcd82 » Wed Jul 07, 2004 4:45 pm

Cheers Nariman, [img]/smile.gif[/img]

I just rang Autovaux, and the guy said it could be one of three things (they all give the same symptoms)

1 - CV Joint.
2 - Wishbone.
3 - Anti roll bar link.

He also said, he "didnt recommend getting anything till a garage had looked at it and confirmed what needs replacing...." !

Also - if its the CV Joint he said I need one with an ABS ring that has either 29 or 42 teeth, but you cant tell which one without taking the whole thing apart... :?

I assume by engine code you mean C20NE...? I would appreciate any info you could give me, cos im hoping to get the part myself to avoid being ripped off! [img]/biggrin.gif[/img]

Thanks again.
craigmcd82

by craigmcd82 » Wed Jul 07, 2004 4:52 pm

Ah, right my VIN is S9007XXXX so i reckon that means i want the later one....

90496368 or 90498412 [img]/smile.gif[/img]

BTW - I think that first S might be a Five, but its hard to tell...
craigmcd82

by Naz » Wed Jul 07, 2004 6:09 pm

well C20NE is what i was looking for. I agree about gettign a garage to have a look, but if you saying it makes a continuos clonking noise when you turning and it goes away when straightened, really narrows it down to cv joint. Or on second thought it could be a wheel bearing?!! Take it to a garage and ask them to check it and give you their opinion. Ask them to tell you how much they are gonna charge you for doing it, then tell them you will think about it and you will get backto them. Then go and buy the part from AutoVaux and go back to them and get them to fit it for you.

Most places won't charge you for checking it.
As for ABS teeth counts, in that case you need to count it. Its ain't that hard, jack the front of the car up and remove the front wheel. look down behind the hob and you will see a ring with lots of notches on it, thats the abs ring. mark one of the teeth and then count them all the way round. Don't worry if you miss count a couple of teeth as the chocie is either 29 or 42.

I would suggest come here and we have a look for you, but you are in loughborough and i am in Bath, about 2hrs away.

Cheers
Naz

by craigmcd82 » Wed Jul 07, 2004 9:20 pm

Cheers mate, thanks for the help!

Il try to get it down the garage tomorrow and ask them to check its the CV Joint that needs doing, and how much.... maybe while its there I can find out how many teeth too.

If I can save much by gettin the part myself il bring it home, order the part, then get them to fit it for me.

Im actually back at home in Bedford now - but thats still miles from Bath. Thanks for the offer tho!!

Any idea how long delivery usually takes from Autovaux? (ive never used em before)
craigmcd82

by skellem » Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:47 pm

Autovaux normally deliver next day if it's a popular item and in stock. If they have to order it, they will sometimes get their supplier to post it direct to you, meaning you'll still get it next day! They are, 90% of the time, very quick!
skellem

by Naz » Wed Jul 07, 2004 11:39 pm

As Gunter says, they are normally pretty quick, if they have to order it for you, on special order, then it can take a few days.

HOpe you get it sorted.
Naz

by craigmcd82 » Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:51 am

Oh nice one, should be sorted fairly quick then.

Cheers for the help guys!!

Much appreciated [img]/biggrin.gif[/img]
craigmcd82

by craigmcd82 » Thu Jul 08, 2004 6:03 pm

[img]/biggrin.gif[/img]

Bought it:

It was £45, and the pads were £13 - Not bad i reckon!

I did what you said, the garage confirmed it was the CV Joint, but then said he couldnt do it for a month. So i went home, checked the number of teeth, then got the part.

My next door neighbour reckons he can do it, so that would be nice [img]/smile.gif[/img]

Also notice the brake pads - Im gonna have a bash at this aswell.

Wish me luck - this is a major undertaking for someone of my mechanical Experience!!! :oops:
craigmcd82

Next