Suspension/steering issues

Any issues relating to suspension, steering and brakes.

Suspension/steering issues

by RAINMAKER » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:33 pm

the cally went through its mot fine no problems or advisorys, however in the last couple of days im getting a knocking/cluncking from the front end, arb links are fine as are the bushes, wishbones all ok, suspension seems fine on inspection no springs broken or cracked top mounts appear ok and i cant see any issues with the engine mounts either im at a loss any suggestion all or advise on what to look at for...
RAINMAKER

by vinny_69 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:37 pm

rainy give us a clue when it happens on gass,brakes,when steering bumps etc mate
vinny_69

by RAINMAKER » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:47 pm

happens more on acceleration and braking
RAINMAKER

by vinny_69 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:18 pm

did you get round to sorting that engine mount out?
vinny_69

by RAINMAKER » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:21 pm

had them checked and there ok
RAINMAKER

by vinny_69 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:29 pm

how does your brake pedal feel when slowing down does is wobble or can you feel the clunk?
vinny_69

by DiDi16v » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:03 pm

Lol you aswell i had not long put up a post with the exact same problem, i know my strut top mounts are shot, place your hand on top of the turret under the bonnet and bounce you can feel the knocking.
Also i replaced the driver side mount it had not gone but was very weak, again yours may look ok but have you taken it off to check?
Now the main reason for my knocking on acceleration/changing down going over bumpy surfaces is the inner c.v's both sides are worn, again easily checkable although you probably know already, cup your'e hand around the inner c.v whilst at the same time holding the shaft and twist the inner c.v also try pulling it up and down, if there is any play this will be your problem as the c.v is a precision made part and there should be no play.
DiDi16v

by RAINMAKER » Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:57 pm

i know it wont be shaft or cv joints as they've just been replaced, i keep coming back to top mounts and engine mounts imo
ooh and vinny theres no wobble in the pedal feel just a knock/clunk under braking and on acceleration
RAINMAKER

by BazV6er » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:35 am

my 16v did this neil and it turned out to be quite a bit of play in the steering rack.
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by DiDi16v » Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:53 pm

rainmaker10 you were right about the top mounts all knocks and bangs have gone but there is a vibration through the car feels like rear end causing it and still a tiny bit of steering wheel wobble, i do have 1 odd size tyre on the rear 3 tyres are 205/40/17 and the other one is 215/40/17 would this be the cause?
DiDi16v

by RAINMAKER » Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:57 pm

poss vibration from the rear could be wheel balance, get the odd tyre changed and balance all four wheels together...see how thats helps
as for mine; top mounts, bottom arms bushes and links replaced and new front discs to go on soon with pads..
RAINMAKER