Replacement brake lines/pipes

Any issues relating to suspension, steering and brakes.

Replacement brake lines/pipes

by sinbrad » Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:04 am

Ok, Just got a look at my mot pass and it has an advisory which wasn't mentioned when the other half picked up the car. It looks like my brake lines are in need of replacement at some time. It doesn't mention which ones but mentions it as a whole. So my question is, how easy is it as a DIY job. What would I need to complete the job and at what cost? Would it be better to get a garage to do it and if so what's the sort of price they charge?

cheers
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by marko » Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:44 am

its not that bad a job to do yourself, take the pipes off measure them and get local motor factors to make new ones up with new fittings either end, or make them yourself if you know someone with a brake flaring kit. put pipes back on and bleed the brakes through. If you feel confident enough have a go yourself and save on labour costs - £50 ph +
marko

by Calibra_Mike » Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:23 am

only part thast a pain is bleeding the system afterwards, as long as you got the right kit for it then its not so bad...

As Marko said, most motor factor places will make up the copper type lines if you bring in the old ones or have a drawing with measurments on it...

BUT... Are you sure its the copper type pipes that are gone or is it the flexi type? I had my two rear ones go on my last MOT, think they cost around £20 to replace... I would give the MOT centre a ring and just double check, or get under the car and have a look and see if you can see it for yourself...
VXT RACING DEVELOPMENTS - Designed by Vauxhall... Modified by Me...
The VXT Calibra, back on the road Oct'13... the Adventure Continues...
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Mark1 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:05 pm

You can get them from Phantom as well.
Mark...........It's Red........It's a V6............It's an SE9!..............and She's bad.
Mark1@clubcalibra.net

ClubCalibra Best Presented 2006
ClubCalibra Best Presented 2010
ClubCalibra Best Interior 2011

My Garage
Club Treasurer
Club Treasurer

by Tim2001 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:37 pm

As mark says above Phantom on here (possibly on holiday at the moment) has got sets of the brake lines all premade up. I.e no bending or measuring required.
Tim2001

by sinbrad » Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:29 pm

I'll have to ask the garage as they were not specific in the slightest which was quite puzzling to me? Not knowing much about the make up off the brake lines, what job and area do the flexi pipes cover in comparison to the copper ones? Will get in touch with Phantom when he appears on the forums next, once I've found out exactly what I need that is?
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net