abs paperclip test

Any issues relating to suspension, steering and brakes.

abs paperclip test

by paudie » Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:41 pm

25 Both Faulty Sensor toothed Ring, gear Incorrect gear. Check condition of the teeth on crown wheel/toothed ring.

Can someone please tell me what this means and how to sort it,thanks!!
paudie

by Leigh » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:20 pm

Might not fix it, but you could check the cogs on the back of the hubs and make sure they and the sensor are clean. Mine were caked in crud and what looked like metal filings (sensor is magnetic so it made sense..) , when I cleared it all off they were OK again (well, until one of the sensors packed in proper a few months later)
Leigh

by paudie » Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:37 pm

Thanks,ill give it a go tomorrow after work.Would carb cleaner be ok to use or is there something else i can use to clear the crap out??
How much did the sensor set you back and are they easy to fit??
paudie

by Leigh » Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:46 pm

Errm, I think I just literally wiped it clean with a bit of rag, possibly a paintbrush to get into the little bits. I can't see why carb cleaner would be a problem on the cog, or the sensor, but not 100% on that, certainly don't want to get it on the brake discs I would think!

I got my sensor off ebay so it only cost me about £12 I think, was easy enough to fit, just took the wheel off, undid the bolts and it the plug unclips under the wheelarch. Hardest bit is likely to be the bolts , they are the caliper bolts and could be fairly tight if they've never been removed before, might be an idea to get some wd40/penetrating oil on them first if you're gonna need to remove them (again, take care not to get it on the discs!)
Leigh

by paudie » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:44 pm

Balls!breaks have to come off to clean area out,might just order the sensors anyway and fit them aswell while breaks are off!!
Did the 8v's have these sensors aswell??Have one for scrap at home so could take sensors from her
paudie

by RobbieV » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:45 pm

All cally's have ABS :)
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Leigh » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:08 pm

paudie wrote:Balls!breaks have to come off to clean area out,might just order the sensors anyway and fit them aswell while breaks are off!!
Did the 8v's have these sensors aswell??Have one for scrap at home so could take sensors from her

I'm sure you can clean it without taking the calipers off, mine was several years ago, but I think the first time I ever got the guts to even shift the caliper slightly was only late last year. Just take the wheel off with the car on an axle stand and you should be able to get to the back of the disc, or could even do it from the 'inside' lying under the car,..
Leigh

by paudie » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:13 am

Thanks Leigh,ill go at it sat
paudie

by Leigh » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:40 pm

The more I think about it, I'm sure you can at least get the rear cogs from the 'inside'.
On my numerous crawls under the car doing the handbrake the other month (and to be repeated soon...) I could clearly see the ABS ring on the back of the huhb, and I'm pretty sure it's the same on the front.
Leigh

by paudie » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:46 pm

Cleaned front rings and sensors today but no luck,abs light back on a mile down the road!
Must clean back tomorrow,forgot about them lol
paudie

by paudie » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:45 pm

There is no abs rings on the back!!Learn something new every day lol
Does the paperclip test tell you if it the left or right sensor that has to be replaced??
paudie

by cornishtaz » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:53 pm

You should have a cogged wheel on the rear of the hub, as Robbie said all callys have ABS, I've just confirmed this by checking 2 different manuals.
cornishtaz

by paudie » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:09 pm

Yea took the wheel off and was able to see properly!

Thanks Cornishtaz!
paudie

by cornishtaz » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:12 pm

No probs mate
cornishtaz

by paudie » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:12 pm

Leigh,did you get the sensors off an e-bay shop??
If so can you remember what shop it was??
paudie

Next