Front Shocks

Any issues relating to suspension, steering and brakes.

Power steering

by BenW » Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:26 pm

Has anyone changed their front damper inserts themselves at home? Is it a difficlut job? Any special tools required?

In fact, can anyone recommend a good (OK, cheap) place to buy them? Vauxhall want £128.80 for the pair (retail...I didn't think to ask for a Trade Club price - anyone know?) which is, if you'll forgive the pun, 'shocking' :-D

Cheers
Ben
BenW

by Twigz » Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:43 pm

Ben

Give Autovaux a call! I got my front shocks for my 8v at £60 each! not quite so "shocking" and no need to "bounce" off the walls with that price!!
Twigz

by BenW » Mon Jul 12, 2004 8:56 pm

hehe cheers mate

Autovaux quoted £64.40 inc VAT and delivery...seems pretty damn good to me!

So who has done the job at home then? Come on, I'll have to reach for the Haynes at this rate ;-) and that usually lies to me :-D
BenW

by Fraz » Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:58 pm

I have and I also wrote a in depth guide for Splinter ..cant remeber where i posted it though ..try a search
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

I Don't believe this!!!

by Fraz » Tue Jul 13, 2004 1:22 am

wow that took some finding

its all <a href="http://www.clubcalibra.net/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&p=15485&highlight=#15485" target="_blank">here</a>
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by BenW » Tue Jul 13, 2004 9:49 am

Thanks for the link. I saw that thread but as far as I can see, it's talking about replacing the whole lot. Do I assume therefore it all needs to come off the car for the inserts to be swapped?

<!--QuoteBegin-Fraz+--><div class='quotetop'>(Fraz)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->wow that took some finding<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thanks for the lesson in how to alienate people. :roll:
BenW

by gran » Tue Jul 13, 2004 6:25 pm

ive had mine out loads of times, im getting quite an expert now!! and its all coming out again this weekend!

why dont you go for koni adjustables if you're replacing them anyway? thats what id do anyway?

can sort you a cheap price on a whole set or just the fronts, its up to you? (all legit)
gran

by BenW » Tue Jul 13, 2004 9:16 pm

Ideally I was just looking to keep it stock like the rest of the car, because my cally is only really my daily hack.

However, if the price is really attractive, it might be rude not to :-D You've got me thinking now! Any chance of PM'ing a rough price chap?
BenW