rear hub help

Any issues relating to suspension, steering and brakes.

rear hub help

by casper81 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:12 pm

hey guys came across a little problem 2day. Took the rear wheel off this morning bolts felt i bit weird when i got them off some were "threaded" i think the term is took a look into the holes for the bolts its looks a bit chewed up and my wheel nuts wont go back on properly. can anyone here help me on this one as im a bit stuck and i wanna try fixing it 2moro. cheers guys
casper81

Re: rear hub help

by vinny_69 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:16 pm

have you tried a new wheel nut?
vinny_69

by casper81 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:19 pm

yea tried that i know i might be flapping over nothing just dont fancy my wheel falling of at the first corner lol. im going to buy 4 new ones 2moro see if that works after my dad telling me u can rethread the holes so i'll give it a go.
casper81

by RAINMAKER » Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:27 pm

If by chance you mean cross threaded, then a new bolt wont help..
it will probably require drilling and helicoiling to fix, normally around 25 notes a thread, to do this the hub will need to be removed and done on a bench set up for accuracy...local engineering firm will be able to sort..
RAINMAKER

by casper81 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:38 pm

damn i hope not thats gonna be 4 threads needin done if so. i'll give that try first with the bolts if no joy then i'll go down that route
casper81

by RAINMAKER » Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:43 pm

had this on my se9 i bought earlier this year, cost involved was 20x25 as all hubs and threads had been damaged by previous owner..it was gonna cost the same to replace the hubs...dilema time i can tell you..

try not to force anything as it will only cause more damage..hope you can sort, best of luck.
RAINMAKER

by v6 steve » Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:47 pm

cant you just get a tap and run it throw ?
might be worth a try beter than £25 a hole
steve
Chairman

The Drain

LE 4x4 turbo

SE2 4x4 turbo RIP
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by RAINMAKER » Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:51 pm

bit of a problem there steve if its been crossed threaded or worse stripped then theres nothing to cut into so to speak...

helicoiling will drill out the hole one size larger and a new threaded coil is drilled into this replacing the old thread..usually this is done as i said on a bench set up/jig to get it all straight and perfect but costs..
RAINMAKER

by v6 steve » Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:54 pm

ive got one on the v6 that has crossed threaded think ill keep an eye out for a new hub then
steve
Chairman

The Drain

LE 4x4 turbo

SE2 4x4 turbo RIP
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by casper81 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:27 am

hey guys thanks for all your advice. managed to get the wheel back on with new bolts with a 1/4 turn at a time lol. will be looking for a new hub asap to fix it once and for all.
casper81