4 Stud to 5 Stud conversion

Any issues relating to suspension, steering and brakes.

4 Stud to 5 Stud conversion

by Caly2c » Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:37 am

Hi there long time member from Australia (although not many posts) in need of some clarification

I know this is a very common question amoung 4 stud calibra owners and i to find myself in the same situation where the style of wheel im after is only available in 5 stud configuration.

Now ive been researching the proceedure for some time but it appears the only way is to replace the front struts, brakes hubs etc as one unit. This normally wouldnt be a problem but i have coil overs fitted so ditching the whole strut assembly is not an option for me as you could well imagine.

The clarification i seek is; has anyone successfuly redrilled the holes in the hub (have heard of it on other vehicles) or if there is an adapter available as seen on some other 5 stud converted cars where a plate is bolted to the hub/disc using the original 4 stud bolts and from there a 5 stud pattern is provided ( not my first option or choice of doing this but if its the only option then it mite have to do)

Any help in this would be much appreciated

Thanks in advance

Ben
Caly2c

Re: 4 Stud to 5 Stud conversion

by vaggelis00 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:21 am

just replace the hub with 5stud ones ;)
vaggelis00

by Stupink » Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:22 am

Have you double checked with the alloy maker they will not provide you a blank you could machine to 4stud? or in fact that they woudlnt do that for you at a higher cost?
bearing in mind the conversion will cost you anyway its not as daft as it sounds.
Toyota Mr-2 roadster turbo
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by v6 steve » Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:25 am

im supprised they dont do the wheel in 4 stud, well worth the call and ask if they can do stupink's suggestion
steve
Chairman

The Drain

LE 4x4 turbo

SE2 4x4 turbo RIP
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Caly2c » Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:34 am

Yeah thats the first question i asked guys hahahah.

And finding wheels i like is difficult. Not many Euro styled wheels over here or wheels that suit the cally unless its chrome and flat :P

vaggelis00 wrote:just replace the hub with 5stud ones ;)

Is this a possibility considering the diamiter differences and clearences?

From what ive been reading theres difficulties in doing so or is this not the case?
Caly2c

by Fraz » Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:58 am

Caly2c wrote:Yeah thats the first question i asked guys hahahah.

And finding wheels i like is difficult. Not many Euro styled wheels over here or wheels that suit the cally unless its chrome and flat :P

From what ive been reading theres difficulties in doing so or is this not the case?

just the hub...this bit

though you will no doubt need to also do the wheel bearing
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Mark1 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:28 pm

Caly2c wrote:
. Not many Euro styled wheels over here or wheels that suit the cally unless its chrome and flat :P

Not many Euro callys here, only seen one.

Have you got a pic of the wheels? you maybe able to get them sent from the uk.
Mark...........It's Red........It's a V6............It's an SE9!..............and She's bad.
Mark1@clubcalibra.net

ClubCalibra Best Presented 2006
ClubCalibra Best Presented 2010
ClubCalibra Best Interior 2011

My Garage
Club Treasurer
Club Treasurer

by vaggelis00 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:40 pm

just the hub and the wheel bearings. easy and quick ;)
vaggelis00

by Caly2c » Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:08 pm

Fraz wrote:
Caly2c wrote:Yeah thats the first question i asked guys hahahah.

just the hub...this bit

though you will no doubt need to also do the wheel bearing
vaggelis00 wrote:just the hub and the wheel bearings. easy and quick ;)

Thanks guys just what i was wanting to hear. I didnt think it was possible becuase of the proceedure of replacing the whole strut ment pretty much nothing was interchangable within the strut bar the spring. But thats cleared things up now.

There are a couple of companies here in my local area that do wheels mark but their orientation is for the japanse cars. Their everywhere here. Just about everyone has a skyline lol So even mentioning you own a cally let alone finding wheels for it that truely suit it IMO is like pulling teeth lol

But ive sourced a couple of companies in Melbourne that do euro wheels but the ones i like (19 inch) are 5 stud only and wont redrill unfortunetly ive been searching for the whole of my cars build to find some and tried everything :banging: But untill this point no real progress
Caly2c

by Mark1 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:18 pm

Euro stlye would be small wheels and the tyres stretched on to the rims, bigger wheels is more UK/US unless your my silly son who has just ordered a set of euro wheels for his car and is doing my head as they have not got here yet
Mark...........It's Red........It's a V6............It's an SE9!..............and She's bad.
Mark1@clubcalibra.net

My Garage
Club Treasurer
Club Treasurer

by Caly2c » Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:41 pm

Hahahaha. I guess they could come from either.

Their sold here as Euro/luxury wheels. And i guess if you compare them to 90% of the wheels getting around they would be classed as European. But i do know what you mean its an extreme look but not one im totally in love with :P

P.S been a little while since you've been over on the Australian site Mark. havent seen you! :mrgreen:
Caly2c

by v6 steve » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:39 am

Mark1 wrote:Euro stlye would be small wheels and the tyres stretched on to the rims, bigger wheels is more UK/US unless your my silly son who has just ordered a set of euro wheels for his car and is doing my head as they have not got here yet

mark the uk is in europe
wores luck
steve
Chairman

The Drain

LE 4x4 turbo

SE2 4x4 turbo RIP
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Mark1 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:18 pm

v6 steve wrote:
Mark1 wrote:Euro stlye would be small wheels and the tyres stretched on to the rims, bigger wheels is more UK/US unless your my silly son who has just ordered a set of euro wheels for his car and is doing my head as they have not got here yet

mark the uk is in europe
wores luck

No it's not, over the last 600 years or so we have kicked the s**t out of most of europe and they don't like us, only want us when they need someone to fight for them(WW1/WW2).If you look at whats going on in parts of the world where NATO are, it's UK and yank troops getting killed mostley.
Mark1@clubcalibra.net

My Garage
Club Treasurer
Club Treasurer

by Mark1 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:52 pm

Caly2c wrote:P.S been a little while since you've been over on the Australian site Mark. havent seen you! :mrgreen:

Pop in now and again but don't post that much.
Mark1@clubcalibra.net

My Garage
Club Treasurer
Club Treasurer

by v6 steve » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:58 pm

Mark1 wrote:
Caly2c wrote:P.S been a little while since you've been over on the Australian site Mark. havent seen you! :mrgreen:

Pop in now and again but don't post that much.

whats the australian site adress
and ye mark have to agree with you there
steve
Chairman

The Drain

LE 4x4 turbo

SE2 4x4 turbo RIP
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

Next