unusual tyre wear

Any issues relating to suspension, steering and brakes.

unusual tyre wear

by marko » Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:34 am

Noticed when doing the cambelt that the drivers side front tyre had some really unusual wear to the inside edge, almost looks like its been rubbing on something, dosent go all the way round though, there is a small patch where the edge isnt worn. other side dosent look too bad although it is scrubbing slightly on the inner edge. car is lowered by 40mm and is running 18s. Had a quick look but cant see any obvious problems - camber is about the same left to right, ride hight is the same also. Have had a clonking sound coming from that side for a while, couldnt quite work out where it was coming from, must be related to the tyre wear i think. Dont think its tracking as its only 1 tyre, wouldnt both fronts have similar wear if the tracking was out?. Will try to get a pic up of the tyre later. Any advice appreciated.
marko

Re: unusual tyre wear

by Markp » Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:58 am

Check your lower arm bushes as from teh sounds of things they could be funked. That would certainly give you your clonking sound amd cause an unusaul wear on your tyre.
Markp

by Callyman » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:34 am

As said i'd check for any play in the arm bushes and also get the tracking checked to be sure.
Details on how to join the club---Click me
Club Memberships
Club Memberships

by Richiem » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:26 pm

Sounds like the typical cali negative camber wear from lowering the car..
As above , also sounds like the lower arm ball joint is naff or poss the lower arm rear bush.. ( adding to the problem)
Its pretty hard to solve the neg camber on the front tyres, but you can sort out the rears ok..
I did mine with a k mac kit from australia..
Club Member
Club Member