strut top mount/ bearings

Any issues relating to suspension, steering and brakes.

strut top mount/ bearings

by marko » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:15 pm

DSC00796.JPG
DSC00796.JPG (44.2 KiB) Viewed 9867 times
got a squeak coming from drivers side when turning. been getting a clonk sound from the same side for some time and the tyre on that side is worn on the inside edge. Just been out for a look and noticed that the strut tops are not touching the body(see pic) dont know if this is right or not havent noticed it before, also the top of the struts are moving slightly when the wheel is turned - car stationary. Thought the squeek/clonk was down to the strut top bearing but i think the top mounts may need replacing also.
marko

Re: strut top mount/ bearings

by Leigh » Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:44 pm

I think the tops end up with a gap when the rubber donught is worn out/squashed, mine have but I haven't been brave enough to take it all apart yet to replace them.

As for the clonking sound, have you checked your anti-roll bar link(s)? There a quite common cause of that sort of noise, you'd normally notice it going over bumps etc.
Leigh

by marko » Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:07 pm

Checked all the suspension over, links/bushes etc, all seem ok, just dont know if the gap is supposed to be there. The top of the strut moves slightly when the wheel is turned and car is stationary. Think im gonna get some new mounts and top bearings, the gap dont seem right to me.
marko

by tazz666 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:52 pm

the gap is supposed to be there and if you turn the steering the mounts will turn as they are designed to be that like that
tazz666

by Leigh » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:21 pm

Doesn't the size of the gap vary over time /wear tho Taz?

Just I've seen pics of others engine bays and the gap was noticeably smaller, I think someone on here did a before/after pic from when they replaced those rubber mountings.
Leigh

by tazz666 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:24 pm

Leigh wrote:Doesn't the size of the gap vary over time /wear tho Taz?

Just I've seen pics of others engine bays and the gap was noticeably smaller, I think someone on here did a before/after pic from when they replaced those rubber mountings.

Yes they do mate as older the top mount gets bigger the gap, if in doubt , i would change them just to be on the safe side:D
tazz666

by neilht » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:41 pm

Last edited by neilht on Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
neilht

by Leigh » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:42 pm

I've been planning on doing mine for ages now, was going to renew the strtut top mount and bearing as well, just never removed the suspension before so I've kept putting it off.
Maybe with my renewed enthusiasm for the car I'll get it done soon.
Leigh

by complaints69 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:45 pm

no gap here either.
Calibra Turbo LE 28
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by marko » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:00 pm

ive ordered new top mounts and bearings, think the stiffer springs may have stressed them, they are probably as old as the car. Hopefully this will stop the uneaven tyre wear to drivers side. The only other thing i can think of is front wheel bearings but thought they made a whirring sound when they were on their way out. cant feel any play in them. Will report back when ive done the mounts.
marko

by opelturbo » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:04 pm

marko wrote:ive ordered new top mounts and bearings, think the stiffer springs may have stressed them, they are probably as old as the car. Hopefully this will stop the uneaven tyre wear to drivers side. The only other thing i can think of is front wheel bearings but thought they made a whirring sound when they were on their way out. cant feel any play in them. Will report back when ive done the mounts.

Where did you order them from ?
opelturbo

by marko » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:01 pm

Found some on ebay.
marko

by casper81 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:36 pm

Hey im having the same trouble fitted new shocker inserts on friday only noticed yesterday when driving something wasnt quite right my top mount sits a little higher than yours even moves when you bounce the car :( think i'll be ordering those parts just the now lol.
casper81

by marko » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:54 am

still not got round to doing mine yet, getting a squeek sound when turning right, think the wheel bearing may be shot also, think the squeek is the brake disk moving without the caliper.
marko

by vinny_69 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:10 am

marko wrote: think the squeek is the brake disk moving without the caliper.

your gonna have to explain that a little bit better mate :-k
vinny_69

Next