Steering lock??

Any issues relating to suspension, steering and brakes.

Steering lock??

by MadOnVaux! » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:24 pm

What does the steering lock work on?...I was under the impression it had something to do with the ignition barrel, or around that area....just that ive recently had a new steering rack fitted and since it was fitted i have no steering lock?

Any ideas people??
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

Re: Steering lock??

by Fraz » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:29 pm

the steering lock is a large lug of metal in the ignition lock assembly that locates into a slot on the steering shaft...could be your shaft is not in the right way round, or to high or to low so its not going right into the slot

have you tried turning the wheel all the way round ???
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by MadOnVaux! » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:42 pm

Aha, I thought it was to do with the ignition barrel/lock....I've not turned the wheel all the way round, but ive tried it upside down and still no lock.

I'll have to get my front wheels on some bits of old kitchen cupboard i have in the garage and turn the wheel, see if it clicks in at somepoint.
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by MadOnVaux! » Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:22 pm

I managed to get the car on some old bits of kitchen unit this morning so i could turn the wheel without putting too much strain on the rack and not churn my driveway up...and the steering lock is there and works, on like 45degrees one way and approx 100 degrees the other, and also measured the lock to lock and it is the same both sides.

Just wondering if its worth them having the car back in this friday to take to bits again, or wether i should just remember to turn the wheel so the lock comes on when i park up??....I am pleased how it drivwes and steers now, plus the steering is bang on straight now too where as it wasnt before....i'd hate for it to lose that somehow.
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net