Suspected Brake Binding

Any issues relating to suspension, steering and brakes.

Suspected Brake Binding

by Fenix » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:13 pm

I changed the front discs on my car at the weekend and noticed when i got home from my 30 miles motorway journey home that my drivers side disc was ridiculously hot. To the point where my alloy wheel was also hot.

I also noticed that when braking the car was pulling to the left. I assume this is because the right hand side brakes have overheated.

I've only changed the discs. Not touched pads or fluid so what can be causing the issue and how do i solve it?

Thanks
Fenix

Re: Suspected Brake Binding

by vinny_69 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:23 pm

discs but not pads :roll: when you fitted the discs did you push the piston back into the caliper?

did you remember to unscrew fluid cap, if not chances are you have blown a seal or a seized piston
vinny_69

by Fenix » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:27 pm

Hi

Yeah pushed the piston back and opened the cap on the brake fluid resevoir before i did.

Odd as there was no sign of binding before i changed the discs.
Fenix

by vinny_69 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:38 pm

i used to do it like that,been doing it like that for years
but lastime i did it under the watchfull eye of my teacher i got a slap :lol:

but if you force the piston back there is more chance of fecking the seal.
vinny_69

by tazz666 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:46 pm

you have to remember that when you are forcing the piston back it is pushing the seals in the oppisite direction that the were intended to work , and therfore pushing them out of there seats that is what i have been lead to believe, :D
tazz666

by Callyman » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:38 pm

Ive been changing my own pads and countless other cars for many people from a mini to a BMW and ive never damaged a caliper by pushing the piston in. But i've always loosend the reservoir cap.
Details on how to join the club---Click me
Club Memberships
Club Memberships

by v6 steve » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:56 pm

i always loosen the cap but that only becuase im a weakling :alright:
steve
Chairman

The Drain

LE 4x4 turbo

SE2 4x4 turbo RIP
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by tazz666 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:04 pm

callyman wrote:Ive been changing my own pads and countless other cars for many people from a mini to a BMW and ive never damaged a caliper by pushing the piston in. But i've always loosend the reservoir cap.

its not the caliper that can get damaged it is the seals in the master cylinder you have to watch out for:D
tazz666

by tazz666 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:33 pm

i honestly not sure mate , but i did ask a technition and that is what i was told so thats what i do , and its better to be safe than sorry :D
tazz666

by Fenix » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:26 pm

Well turned out to be a completely seized caliper. Now replaced and new pads in :-)
Fenix