Steering rack???

Any issues relating to suspension, steering and brakes.

Steering rack???

by CallyRed » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:21 pm

How do i tell which one i've got? Car is 92 (J) Calibra redtop. I think the rack is knackered, getting a big clunk first thing in the morning when turning out of my parking bay, then nothing at all while driving. I've just replaced both wishbones, ARB links and track rod ends. Clonk defo sounds like it's coming from rack/bulkhead, so how do know which one to get (ZF/GM/Saginaw)?

Had a look at the rack and there's not really anything to identify it.

Andy
CallyRed

Re: Steering rack???

by chaos » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:47 pm

Are you sure it's the rack? Are you losing any PAS fluid?

sometimes the seals go.
chaos

by vinny_69 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:51 pm

when you get the CLONK is it on full lock?
vinny_69

by CallyRed » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:26 pm

Pretty sure it's the rack, not losing fluid tho. Yeah on full lock, well more when turning back from full lock.

Andy
CallyRed

by Richiem » Thu May 07, 2009 4:17 am

I get this knock on my 4x4 and it turned out to be the springs adjusting when the weight was shifting at high load8)
Like you, i changed and checked everything and it didnt sort it..
the sound i get is like a loud bonk!
I get it when coming of my drive or coming of curbs!

When the racks fails on calis you will normally find theres a delay in the steering engaging with the rack when turning right.
Its like you turn the steering wheel right , and it doesnt turn the rack straight away, then it suddenly engages..
This is due to the rack teeth bein made of ali for some daft reason and they wear out after around 100, 00+ miles..
This with normally be ok when the cars rack oil is cold , but gets worst as the oil in the rack warms up.
This is cos it slowly gets past the worn teeth and starts failing ..

There should be a label on the rack up the top end were it joins the steering columb..
There were 2 types of rack fitted ( one late/ one early models) one is a zf type
Club Member
Club Member