braided brake lines

Any issues relating to suspension, steering and brakes.

braided brake lines

by Redtops Rule » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:26 pm

how hard is it to fit braided lines to the rear brakes? i was given a set when i bought the car which has them fitted on the front, but i've not got around to doing it yet.thinkin of having a go myself tomorrow, but i dont fancy bleeding the brakes myself, Is this necessary?as you can tell i know very little about brakes,but im willing to try. Also is it easy to upgrade the discs?
Redtops Rule

Re: braided brake lines

by Fraz » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:32 pm

bit of a fiddly job, and you may also need to replace the actual brake pipes as they may snap when you try to take the ends off

and yes the brakes will need bled
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Redtops Rule » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:39 pm

ok thanks fraz may leave it to my friend the mechanic then as im not too clever with brakes :D
can you recommend a good brake setup as I currently have standard rear discs and drilled grooved front discs(not sure of size) with green stuff pads. But I want to upgrade at least the rear discs. Will the 288mm discs fit a '93 Redtop? Cheers Greg
Redtops Rule

by Fraz » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:46 pm

TBh i would save your money, very little braking is done by the rear brakes, unless your going for the visual effect
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Redtops Rule » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:49 pm

Fair enough im all for saving money! Ive got a problem with my handbrake tho is this a separate drum brake?
Redtops Rule

by vinny_69 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:48 pm

Redtops Rule wrote:Ive got a problem with my handbrake tho is this a separate drum brake?

yes mate it is :D inside the rear disc you will find the pads
vinny_69

by bodgetastic » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:57 pm

vinny_69 wrote:
Redtops Rule wrote:Ive got a problem with my handbrake tho is this a separate drum brake?

yes mate it is :D inside the rear disc you will find the pads

or shoes even :wink: Whats wrong with the handbrake, more than likely it just needs a bit of adjustment :roll:
More power than God
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

by vinny_69 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:00 am

[quote="bodgetastic"]or shoes even :wink: quote]
:oops: thats what i meant
vinny_69

by vinny_69 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:02 am

vinny_69 wrote:
bodgetastic wrote:or shoes even :wink:

:oops: thats what i meant
vinny_69

by Redtops Rule » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:12 am

cheers lads. The problem is i have to really force the handbrake up to the highest position for it to work even a little bit. Then when i take it off theres a really bad squeaking from the rear as if the drums are sticking so i normally just leave it in gear without the handbrake. Not too bad as i live in fenland but i would like to get it fixed!
Redtops Rule

by vinny_69 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:16 pm

either your cable has stretched or your shoes need replacing and a fer springs wont go amiss either :D
vinny_69

by Redtops Rule » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:54 pm

right thanks mate probably replace it all while im at it to save money in the future!
Redtops Rule

by Phantom » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:16 pm

you'll probably find the handbrake lever that goes into the drums are seized, best thing to do will be to dismantle the rear drums so you can check the shoes and then clean and grease the levers
Phantom