Intermittent noise

Any issues relating to suspension, steering and brakes.

Intermittent noise

by Teejay » Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:23 pm

Hi all, Cally has started making an intermittent creaking noise. (Sounds a bit like when you walk on new snow)
Even when the car is stationary if you moving the steering wheel left and right you hear it but not there all the time only when the car has been driven a while.
Wheels look like they are juddering slighly when you move the wheel and you can feel a vibration if you put your hands on the wings.
Had it checked at the local garage and the only thing we found was a split gaitor on the n/s drive shaft which got replaced after re-lubricating but it's still doing it.
Thoughts?
Change is inevitable......except from a vending machine!

Billing Banner Erection 2014
Billing Chef 2014

See my V6 Cally here
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

Re: Intermittent noise

by Stupink » Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:32 pm

top strutt bearing? the mounts get bent sometimes and end up in contact.. its a reasonable ammount of work to strip it to check though, depends how bad the problem is to you i guess.
Toyota Mr-2 roadster turbo
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by gazcallyt » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:25 pm

That sounds very similiar to the noise I have just sorted, mine ended up being the wheel bearing.

Gary
LET the fun begin.
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Teejay » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:08 pm

gazcallyt wrote:That sounds very similiar to the noise I have just sorted, mine ended up being the wheel bearing.

Gary

Was this even with the car stationary?
Did you have to change both?
Change is inevitable......except from a vending machine!

Billing Banner Erection 2014
Billing Chef 2014

See my V6 Cally here
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by gazcallyt » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:51 pm

Mine was speed related, the noise got faster with more speed, hard to describe the noise almost sounded like something creaking, but I did notice it would also make the noise while stationary and just turning the wheel, but after say two or three turns it would stop, until I got going again, I only changed the one, but the other side was swapped about three months prior to this.

It got on me t**s for ages couldn't pin point what it was, thought it was the disc shield catching at first, then the abs sensor, then onto the cv joint and then eventually the hub and bearing, swapped them all and it was the last thing I swapped that solved it, typical.

Hope this helps.

Gaz.
LET the fun begin.
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Markp » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:54 pm

As previously stated, i would suggest strut top mount bearings. Had this on my astra and once changed the noise went.
Markp

by whippit » Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:02 pm

Not sure on the calibra but on other Vxs I have owned that noise is almost always the ARB drop link
whippit