Help stripping rear brakes

Any issues relating to suspension, steering and brakes.

Help stripping rear brakes

by §torm » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:43 pm

Hi guys,

I'm just in the process of stripping thr rear brakes on my g/f's new Ecotec, as one of the brake shoes broke up causing the rear wheel to seize up, and i need a bit of help as not done this before.

I've removed the caliper and got the brake disc off, and have then begun disassembling the brake shoe assembly. I've released the 2 brake shoe retaining pins, and their associated springs. However, whilst i easily removed the RHS shoe retaining pin through the rear of the backplate, I can't see how to remove the LHS pin as it just disappears into the rear of the hub.

Also the bottom of the brake shoe assembly is still attached to the handbrake cable, and i can't see how to disconnect it.

Any help/advice would be great!! :)
§torm

Re: Help stripping rear brakes

by §torm » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:39 am

Ok, i've managed to work out how to remove the handbrake cable from the backplate.

However, the brake shoe assembly still doesn't seem to want to come out. Is the first step to disconnect the springs holding the brake shoes together?

Is there a step by step guide somewhere for doing this?

I'm also still unsure how to remove the second brake shoe retaining pin, as the backplate area isn't accessible in this area?
§torm

by Stupink » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:39 am

I've never paid attention to it, could you pop up a pic to remind me?
Toyota Mr-2 roadster turbo
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Fraz » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:49 pm

the original shoe retainer pin has a screw type head in the top, so it usually a matter of a Phillips screwdriver and turn (if stuck a pair of pliers) remove pins , then with the handbrake disconnected he full Assembly should come off the car. make a note of what way the springs locate in the shoes and also the adjuster

once removed simply swap over the springs to the new shoes, make sure the adjuster is all free and working, and its then a matter of getting it all back on the backplate ...if your unsure how it all should go, just look at the other side it just a mirror image of the other
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by §torm » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:58 pm

Fraz wrote:the original shoe retainer pin has a screw type head in the top, so it usually a matter of a Phillips screwdriver and turn (if stuck a pair of pliers) remove pins , then with the handbrake disconnected he full Assembly should come off the car

Thanks Fraz. You make it sounds sooo easy lol. Maybe i need to clarify the specific bit i'm stuck on.

I've already got as far as twisting and releasing the retainer pins with a pair of pliers, and released the shoes, but then i am supposed to be able to withdraw both pins throught the backplate, right? Well i can withdraw the right side pin no problem, through its hole in the backplate, but the left side pin is not accessible from the rear of the backplate, so i can't see I am supposed to withdraw it. I can't get at it as that area of the backplate is covered by the suspension arm, or whatever you call the bit that the hub is mounted to.

Am i doing something wrong?

This is on a 98 ecotec by the way, not my V6, just in case the brake setup is different.
§torm

by §torm » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:03 pm

Fraz wrote:with the handbrake disconnected he full Assembly should come off the car

This is also not appearing to be the case.

I've disconnected the handbrake cable, but the shoe assembly still doesnt seem to budge specifically around the handbrake lever area. I thought the lever bit would just pull through the backplate. Am i just not pulling hard enough? I didn't want to break anything.
§torm

by Fraz » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:37 pm

Oh its only easy when you know how

Right it sounds like one or both of the retainer pins have been replaced at some point, Vauxhall do not supply the one that go from the front and secure through the back plate. Thus the pin is now coming from the back through the back plate

there should be a round clip on the end of a spring holding the shoe??? if you have removed this clip the shoe will pass over the pin (no need to remove the pin), You will first have to separate the bottom spring holding the two shoes together

the handbrake cable comes through the backplate and attaches to the rear of the shoe on to a lever . you will first need to separate the bottom spring that holds shoes togather...insert a suitable lever (flat blade screwdriver) between the shoe and the lever at the back of the shoe...lever it forwards enough so you can twist the cable from its location on the lever...its a hook on cable that goes on to the lever

I think thats it ...and its easier than it sounds ...to attach the new shoes jam the lever on rear of shoes so you get enough room to hook cable on .. I then usually have the top spring already assembled before I secure the shoe with the retainer pins and then use a thin pointed screwdriver to get the bottom spring over to the other shoe
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by §torm » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:28 am

Fraz wrote:Oh its only easy when you know how

Right it sounds like one or both of the retainer pins have been replaced at some point, Vauxhall do not supply the one that go from the front and secure through the back plate. Thus the pin is now coming from the back through the back plate

Thanks Fraz. But if these pins have been replaced at some point, how did the "someone else" change this pin, if it can't be removed lol, i'm confused!! Also the Haynes manual says you can remove both these pins, and also the fitting kit i've just bought has replacement pins in it. How can i fit the new pins if i can't get the old pin out?

I'm off today so will go and have another good luck and see if i can make some progress.

In the meantime, i've taken some photo's to better illustrate what i mean about this pin.

Firstly, here's a pic showing the 2 shoe retaining springs and the pin that i have successfully removed.

Here's the first photo looking down on the hub. It shows the brake shoes pulled forward, revealing the 2 retaining pins

Ok. Now I can remove the pin on the RHS no problem, via the hole on the rear of the backplate (see below)

However, how can i remove the LHS retaining pin, when there is no access to the backplate, and no hole to pull it out of. See below

This pic below shows the pin i can't remove, and the bit circled in red that is in the way (the suspension arm?)

...and another pic, again arrowing the pin i'm trying to remove, but showing the backplate is not accessible and there is no hole on the rear of the backplate

So how the blazes does one remove the 2nd pin grr ?? The Haynes manual simply says to pull it out from the rear....but you can't lol.
§torm

by Robs-se » Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:26 am

later models changed, as Fraz says, the pin comes from the back. To get the spring off the left hand one you need to push the spring down with some pliers and then turn the pin so the slots in the cap move over the pin and then release the pliers so the spring cap clears the pin. The top part of the spring, the cap, should be a separate piece, yours have corroded into one bit. Refitting the spring is the reversal of removing. Be prepared to swear a lot as just as you think the cap is far enough down to turn the pin, it all springs off again. In the new caps there is a recessed groove for the pin top to sit in.
Hope this helps.
Nothing succeeds like a budgie with nae teeth

Up the Hibs!!

Now with added Vectra VXR power

Now calibraless
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by §torm » Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:18 pm

Robs-se wrote:later models changed, as Fraz says, the pin comes from the back. To get the spring off the left hand one you need to push the spring down with some pliers and then turn the pin so the slots in the cap move over the pin and then release the pliers so the spring cap clears the pin. The top part of the spring, the cap, should be a separate piece, yours have corroded into one bit. Refitting the spring is the reversal of removing. Be prepared to swear a lot as just as you think the cap is far enough down to turn the pin, it all springs off again. In the new caps there is a recessed groove for the pin top to sit in.
Hope this helps.

Cheers guys,

As you'll see from the pics above Rob, i've already got the spring off :wink: Also not sure what you mean about mine corroding into one piece. In the pic the caps are merely sitting in the springs :P

Anyway have got the old shoe assembly out now, and just rebuilding the new assembly. Decided to leave the old pins and springs in there, as they are still in good nick, and keep the fitting kit for when i really need it (ie when a pin breaks)
§torm

by Robs-se » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:54 pm

Forgive me, when mine looked like that they were rusted together :D
Glad your sorted anyway.
Nothing succeeds like a budgie with nae teeth

Up the Hibs!!

Now with added Vectra VXR power

Now calibraless
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Fraz » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:22 pm

Yes they have been replaced, and its a wee bit fiddly to change the pin, You have to remove the top two hub bolts, then you bend the back plate forward at the top. Then a slight bed in the pin, poke it through the backplate (there is now just enough room) straighten the pin with pliers and bend the backplate back, tighten the hub bolts and continue as normal

only thing is you have to make damn sure you have the correct spline tool for the hub bolts and usually some heat as well
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by §torm » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:56 pm

Fraz wrote:Yes they have been replaced, and its a wee bit fiddly to change the pin, You have to remove the top two hub bolts, then you bend the back plate forward at the top. Then a slight bed in the pin, poke it through the backplate (there is now just enough room) straighten the pin with pliers and bend the backplate back, tighten the hub bolts and continue as normal

only thing is you have to make **** sure you have the correct spline tool for the hub bolts and usually some heat as well

Thanks Fraz, I'd pretty much reached the same conclusion, as couldn't progress any other way. Had it suggested to cut the old pin off with an angle grinder etc, but that would still leave a broken bit rattling around inside, so decided the bracket had to come off. Funnily enough, I ordered a spline kit from ebay earlier today to do this very job. Looks like about a 10mm but the kit has multiple fitments so should be ok.

Once i've got the kit off, is the recommendation to re-fit the pins, so the spade end locks into the backplate, rather than the other way around?

Ps how can you tell they've been replaced?
§torm

by Fraz » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:20 pm

Can tell as they are shorter, dont have the screw head bit, and why bother changing the pins if they are fine just leave as they are
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by §torm » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:37 am

Fraz wrote:Can tell as they are shorter, dont have the screw head bit, and why bother changing the pins if they are fine just leave as they are

Ok, i assumed the screw head bit was a later revision to the fitting kit, based on the earlier one being such a **** to fit lol.

I fully intended to leave the original pins in, however having spent about 2 hours trying to get the spring and spring cup back over the spade end of the (still in situ) pin, i have come to the conclusion that this is *almost* impossible, and it would be far quicker/easier to remove the spline bolts and bracket, and fit the pin the other way around.
§torm

Next