Can i upgrade my rear brakes to just discs???

Any issues relating to suspension, steering and brakes.

Can i upgrade my rear brakes to just discs???

by Redtops Rule » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:58 pm

got a mate that worked for vauxhall and he said that there is a way to upgrade the rear brake drums with astra discs or something. basically he said the calibra handbrakes use the shoes inside the drum to hold the car but the astra disc setup locks the discs with the handbrake. Does this make sense to any one or does anybody know anything about it??
Cheers Greg
Redtops Rule

Re: Can i upgrade my rear brakes to just discs???

by Fraz » Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:15 pm

it may well be that they fit, but why would you bother just for the sake of having a handbrake working on the caliper...and I doubt the cables will be interchangeable
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by tazz666 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:36 pm

the cables would need modifying as fraz said, and then you would need the rear calipers aswell , and the rear discs are bolted to the the rear hubs which are bolted to the rear suspension arm ,which is totally different to the calibra
tazz666

by Redtops Rule » Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:30 pm

ok thanks looks like it was bit of a myth :lol:
Redtops Rule

by tazz666 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:02 pm

now i didnt say it couldnt be done ,,,,,,,,,but there would be some fabricating work to be done , but alot of work just for handbrake to work off of the calipers,especially when the calibra's handbrake works well enough if it is properly maintained, unles you want to do some naughty dukes of hazard styleeee turns
tazz666

by Redtops Rule » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:33 pm

indeed now as fun as that wud be, I cant justify spendin so much time and effort on this when I got more important things that need sorting for the mot :cry: Although I do need to fix my handbrake as it has seized somehow! havent even used my handbrake for a year, i jus park her up in gear ready 2 go :D
Redtops Rule

by tazz666 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:48 pm

looks like a strip down and a rebuild is in order and i would replace the handbrake cables shoes and springd including the cable return springs :D
tazz666

by Redtops Rule » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:09 pm

yes thats all first on my list hopefully for this weekend. im a bit of a novice when it comes to the brakes tho but ive found some useful info on here to get me started! is autovaux the best place to get the bits i need?
Redtops Rule

by calibraboy42 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:08 pm

Yes mate but you can get them from car parts store
calibraboy42