Handbrake cable mount RIPPING away from floor!!!

Any issues relating to suspension, steering and brakes.

by RichM » Wed Jul 28, 2004 7:00 pm

Help, I need a good welder in the Reading area. Got under the car yesterday to fix the rubbish handbrake only to find that the mount the cable sits in has ripped out. It is peeling back the car floor like the lid of a can of beans!!! Need to get this sorted as soon as poss. Anyone know and trust someone or could do it themselves for a good price?

Thanks, Rich
RichM

by Maverick » Wed Jul 28, 2004 7:59 pm

Sorry I cannot suggest much for this mate... but while trying not to state the obvious, make sure you leave it parked in gear. Some people overlook this. Will pull you out of the scrape if the handbreak goes.

Good luck with it. Just get it to your local industrial site based car place etc etc (you know the sort). A simple weld probably will not cost that much. I had 5 holes welded in the floor of my Orion a few years back for 100 quid. Not really that bad. This should be quite minimal I would have thought :? .
Maverick

K&N on a cally T

by c1emm » Thu Aug 05, 2004 11:05 pm

have u found anyone yet Rich >
c1emm

by Robert_Dale » Fri Aug 06, 2004 2:43 pm

Rich this happened on mine and a mate sorted it for me only takes about half hour.

All that needs doing is welding back onto the car (might need a backplate) however all we did was hoist the car up and take the back seat bit out (where your arse goes) - then pull the carpet up and whilst someone welds the plate back on i was using the air gun to stop all the flames from setting the carpet alight.

PM me if you need more details mate its very easy to get back on if you know a welder - but you need the car up on a lift to.

Rich take it into a garage that welds and explain what i said above they won't charge you much as its a real easy job as long as you take the seat of and peel the carpet back.

rob
Robert_Dale

by RichM » Sat Aug 07, 2004 8:06 am

Thanks for the info mate. I have a local place that is gonna do it for me. Apparently they do all of our local Vauxhalls welding for them too.

Rich
RichM

by wuffy » Sat Aug 07, 2004 6:10 pm

same happend to mine mate,had it welded back up in about half an hour.
1996 ceramic blue 16v ecotec
Gold Club Member
Gold Club Member

Bias Valve ????

by AndiSe5 » Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:02 pm

Ditto.
Car failed earlyer on in the year on the very same problem.

Just took back seat out and pulled carpet up to stop it catching fire and put 2 welding spots on it to secure.

Hey presto it passed.
AndiSe5

by debairaclijr » Sat Oct 02, 2004 7:02 pm

Same here, but no welding involved in fixing.

Didn't have time to remove the carpet so I have bolted on a plate from the exterior.
debairaclijr

by AndiSe5 » Sat Oct 09, 2004 10:37 am

Seems to be a common fault !

Eeek
AndiSe5

by Leigh » Mon Nov 01, 2004 5:37 pm

Eek, just read this, my handbrake suddenly went 'PING' on friday morning when I came to leave my house to go and run around doing wedding preparations for my mates big day on the saturday. It still holds the car, but now the handle comes MUCH further up before it stops on the last click or two. I suspect it's the cable, but don't know for sure and I can't really get under the car to look, nor do I know where to look!

Is it a hard job to change the cable etc? Just wondering how much I should expect to be charged by a 'normal' backstreet garage if it needs replacing.
Am I right in thinking that the handbrake acts on two points? Just it 'feels' like one side of the car is braked and the other isnt when I parked up last night at home.
Obviously I'm leaving it in gear whereever I park at the moment!
Leigh

by Robert_Dale » Mon Nov 01, 2004 6:35 pm

> Is it a hard job to change the cable etc? Just wondering how much I should expect to be charged by a 'normal' backstreet garage if it needs replacing.

about £20 mate
Robert_Dale

by Mac » Mon Nov 01, 2004 7:56 pm

Are these mounts the ones which hold the cables on each side of the arch under the car?
Mac

by c1emm » Fri Nov 05, 2004 7:57 pm

my handbreak on the red cally goes all the way up and it dont always hold so i have to leave it in gear
c1emm

by Leigh » Wed Nov 10, 2004 12:59 pm

I got a replacement cable from Autovaux for £20 inc P&P (not a GM one for a change, unsual for Autovaux).
I'd really quite like to change it myself, not so much from a money point of view (but hey, saving £20 - £30 (local garage near my work guess-quoted me that, tho he said "we have to dismantle the brakes to fit it" ?? )
It doesn't look/sound too complicated based on what the Haynes manual says, but I'd trust more the experiences of someone on here who's actually done it before, as I'm sure most of us have at one time found things less simple than the Haynes makes it sound!

One of my long standing queries is exactly where are the safe places to put axle stands, and the location of the rear central jacking point (not the side points with the 'raised' circles. People have tried to describe it in the past, but I don't always know the specific chassis area by name (pictures needed!).

The cable change sounds/looks fairly easy, I mean they 'just' hook on at the hub end, route the cable, attach the new yoke etc , anyone know if you have to get a new selflocking bolt like it says in the Haynes, and if so, whats the part number?

Is adjusting it fairly simple too, assuming the above jacking issues were covered, sounds (again) reasonably easy to follow, turn the adjuster on the hub etc etc.
Leigh

by VivSE5 » Wed Nov 10, 2004 3:07 pm

Bloody hell, my Cally just failed on that same thing!
Had to get new brake hoses as well.

Oh and standard 8V hoses dont fit the SE5, cus SE5s have got
uprated brakes! so cost me £50 instead of £15 :x

Last years MOT failed on suspension mounts, then gearbox mounts,
so next it should be the engine mounts [img]/biggrin.gif[/img]

Viv
VivSE5

Next