knocking after new shocks fitted?

Any issues relating to suspension, steering and brakes.

knocking after new shocks fitted?

by MadOnVaux! » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:37 pm

What could cause knocking after new shocks have been fitted??

I had a full set of new Bilstein shocks fitted to my car by my garage, and since they were fitted there has been a rattley knocking from what sounds like the area of the rear top mounts...the driver side sounds worse than the passenger side too.

I have checked and eliminated every other possibility such as loose trim, anything in cubbies in boot, parcel shelf, rear seat latches, rear seat belt upper mountings, hatch not sitting right, even had the rear interior side panels off today to see if it might be the speakers rattling, but no, nothing is loose.

I had my garage check the rear suspension bushes when it was last in to see if it could be any of them, but they said it all looks ok...I didnt really want to tell them its been doing it ever since the shocks were fitted incase it was something else.

Has anyone any idea what could cause this?, ive only ever known shocks to knock when they are fecked, not brand new....all i can think is maybe the lower top mount has 'gone'.....these feckers:

ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

Re: knocking after new shocks fitted?

by v6 steve » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:58 pm

how long ago where they fitted might be the sprinds reseating themselfs
steve
Chairman

The Drain

LE 4x4 turbo

SE2 4x4 turbo RIP
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by MadOnVaux! » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:08 pm

v6 steve wrote:how long ago where they fitted might be the springs reseating themselfs

About 6 months or there abouts.
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by v6man54deg » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:11 pm

i had my front shocks replaced then at around six months later it started to knock usually when full lock is applied or turning the wheel when stationary - mot had an advisary of slight movement on top bushes - so will replace the bearings at the same time
v6man54deg

by v6 steve » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:16 pm

after 6 months i wouldnt think it will be the spring reseatting have you checked the subfame bushes?
steve
Chairman

The Drain

LE 4x4 turbo

SE2 4x4 turbo RIP
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Fraz » Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:13 pm

they never fitted them right
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by MadOnVaux! » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:45 pm

v6 steve wrote:after 6 months i wouldnt think it will be the spring reseatting have you checked the subfame bushes?

Yeah they checked all bushes, subframe, anti-roll bar, trailing arms...all ok.
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by MadOnVaux! » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:45 pm

Fraz wrote:they never fitted them right

How is it possible to fit rear shocks incorrectly??
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by BIG DAN » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:55 am

does it do it only when driving or when u jump on the bk end ? try pushing down on the bk and see if it still bangs if it does get underneath and av a look while sum1 else is pushing down on it
Last edited by RobbieV on Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Big Dan, text talk is not needed on the forum as you are allowed up to 60000 characters :)
BIG DAN

by Fraz » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:23 am

MadOnVaux! wrote:
Fraz wrote:they never fitted them right

How is it possible to fit rear shocks incorrectly??

they have Bush's at the top, two one under the point at which they go through the bodywork and one on top with a washer before and after the bush, you then have to tighten them to compress the bush. they are also shaped , if they have not put the washer on or not tightened correctly then they will knock

its easy enough take them off and have a look yourself
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by MadOnVaux! » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:27 pm

BIG DAN wrote:does it do it only when driving or when u jump on the bk end ? try pushing down on the bk and see if it still bangs if it does get underneath and av a look while sum1 else is pushing down on it

Looks to be only when driving...I've pushed the back end down on both sides and can't hear anything.
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by MadOnVaux! » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:30 pm

Fraz wrote:
they have Bush's at the top, two one under the point at which they go through the bodywork and one on top with a washer before and after the bush, you then have to tighten them to compress the bush. they are also shaped , if they have not put the washer on or not tightened correctly then they will knock

its easy enough take them off and have a look yourself

Thing is, they are a very competent garage, and in all honesty rear shocks are pretty easy to fit, i can't see how they would manage to fit them incorrectly?

There is the two washers and compressed bush at the top (inside the cubbys in the boot)....so that brings me back to my thoughts of the lower rubber bush thing being knackered, as in the picture.
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by MadOnVaux! » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:26 pm

Sorted this this morning....bought and fitted two new lower mounting rubbers at the top mounting, took it for a spin, no more knocking :)

The old bushes were split and perished which wont have helped, (More than likely been in since the car was new) plus the metal insert for the bush was also quite free to move about within the bush, also not a great thing, so its all sorted now.......its the little things that make a big difference LOL....no more sodding annoying B*ST@RD knocking too ;)
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by MadOnVaux! » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:39 pm

The knocking is back...

It was actually back the day after i fitted the new lower top mounts.....might just have been psycological that it went away actually...hmm.

I removed the upper top mounts again yesterday for a look at what might be going on and couldnt see any problems, they dont seem to move when im driving along....and its definitely worse on the drivers side.

So any other ideas what it might be?....I can only see it being a bush or something really, but garage says all are ok.....can a bush that appears OK and looks OK still cause knocking if its warn

MOT tomorrow so we'll se if that throws anything up.
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net