ABS on v6 more dangerous than safe ?

Any issues relating to suspension, steering and brakes.

ABS on v6 more dangerous than safe ?

by crinklebender » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:43 pm

Anybody else here disable their ABS ?

this is the second v6 im disabling it on. It doubles even triples stopping distances in the wet or slightest road problems, pumping improves things. i can use pumping to steer without ABS and have full braking power on tap.
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

Re: ABS on v6 more dangerous than safe ?

by caprixpack » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:11 am

luckily the sensors have died on mine , i know what you mean it cuts in way too early how have you gone about disabling it,
caprixpack

by MarkV6 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:44 pm

Why would you even consider disabling a safety feature?? The principle behind ABS is that a rotating wheel can transmit more 'force' (braking/steering) than one that is locked up ie skidding.

crinklebender wrote:It doubles even triples stopping distances in the wet or slightest road problems

Which is what it is designed to do. The ABS systems do not... I repeat, DO NOT shorten stopping distances.

crinklebender wrote:pumping improves things.

What do you thing the ABS system is doing when triggered? The electronics will be able to 'pump' the system far faster than your leg. The old timers on here might tell you to google "cadence braking"

crinklebender wrote:i can use pumping to steer without ABS and have full braking power on tap.

ABS enables you to KEEP CONTROL of your vehicle whilst being able to try to avoid what you're about to crash into.

The brand of tyre fitted will also have a big impact on your cars wet weather behaviour, or you could try slowing down and driving within the limits of the prevailing conditions.
I used to own this Calibra...
I now own this one.

Xbox live gamertag IcedSage
PS3 PS4 network gamertag Calibra-Madman
Gold Club Member
Gold Club Member

by crinklebender » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:24 pm

caprixpack wrote:luckily the sensors have died on mine , i know what you mean it cuts in way too early how have you gone about disabling it,

this time the fuse. the last v6 i had a way of keeping the speedo on, but been a while. trying to remember how i did that.

It doesnt just cut in to early its triggering CPU is way too slow and unresponsive. Dont mind the abs on my van which has 2004 electronics.
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by crinklebender » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:51 pm

MarkV6 wrote:Why would you even consider disabling a safety feature?? The principle behind ABS is that a rotating wheel can transmit more 'force' (braking/steering) than one that is locked up ie skidding.

I wouldnt disable if it worked properly and didnt have a CPU with about 3 clock cycles per second giving random result, which means the release is stuttering way to slow for wheel momentum to keep up. ABS on my 2004 van works fine. i ended up in a skid, once and had control and the thing was still slowing down at a decent rate.
crinklebender wrote:It doubles even triples stopping distances in the wet or slightest road problems

Which is what it is designed to do. The ABS systems do not... I repeat, DO NOT shorten stopping distances.

dont need shorter distances just normal safe stopping distances as in the highway code will do. Cally abs feels like pumping a broken spring that does not respond. I seriously doubt the callies abs can provide safe stop distance when that kicks in. How many times have i ended half way out a roundabout or junction due to some road gravel, and luckily nothing hit me. the abs is no good. thats two v6 i had and same thing. We managed before ABS by pumping the brakes under wheel lock. Still think that works better than this system.

crinklebender wrote:pumping improves things.

What do you thing the ABS system is doing when triggered? The electronics will be able to 'pump' the system far faster than your leg. The old timers on here might tell you to google "cadence braking"

i seriously doubt it. How often have you had to use the ABS. Its got a very unresponsive trigger cycle. I think its one of the earlier CPU and gets stressed to spit out enough clock cycles to regulate the brakes. They probably had to knock it out in a hurry just to provide ABS which was becoming a big deal for manufacturers to provide.

I dunno mine is a 1994 red top and so was my previous v6. maybe newer models have better CPU. I wouldnt have disabled it on two of these after 8 years if hadnt had a lot of experience with it being useless. double edge sword though. the slip diff is great in ice and snow. might wire up the traction switch to kick out the abs when its off.
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Fraz » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:53 pm

whats a CPU
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by RobbieV » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:29 pm

crinklebender wrote: ill need to check if the CPU or some part of the control system is upgraded on newer versions. my two v6 have been pre 1994.

All V6 Calibras used the combined under bonnet Bosch 2EH system. However, A slightly modified version of the 2EH system was used on late V6's. This version used stronger, more reliable magnetic hydraulic valves inside the main ABS unit (Generation 5).
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by crinklebender » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:41 pm

Fraz wrote:whats a CPU

a generic term for the ABS computer. Its probably more basic than that..some Cmos controllers.
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by crinklebender » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:45 pm

RobbieV wrote:
crinklebender wrote: ill need to check if the CPU or some part of the control system is upgraded on newer versions. my two v6 have been pre 1994.

All V6 Calibras used the combined under bonnet Bosch 2EH system. However, A slightly modified version of the 2EH system was used on late V6's. This version used stronger, more reliable magnetic hydraulic valves inside the main ABS unit (Generation 5).

sounds interesting. Maybe could just plug in a newer unit. if plugs are similar and the rest of the newer systems braking parts are identical for calibration.

would prefer the abs than not.
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by crinklebender » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:47 pm

mental. You can buy a whole Bosch 2EH ABS rig for going overboard on ABS testing.

ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by crinklebender » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:50 pm

to upgrade the ABS ECU the ABS pump, wheel sensors, master cylinder and diagnostic socket would need to be the same.

If they are different i need to buy the above rig and spend all winter simulating 100 mph skids in the bedroom.. :lol:
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net