Spongy brake Pedal

Any issues relating to suspension, steering and brakes.

Spongy brake Pedal

by KERR_SE9 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:48 am

Hi folks got a really spongy brake pedal on my Turbo, had a weep from one of my new lines, sorted this, bleed system but still the same, got 5.1 fluid and braided hoses so should be alot better, What are the symptoms of a dodgy master cylinder, pedal is firm when engines not running, once fired up it's back to it's crappy spongy self, pressure won't build if I pump up pedal (Or is this normal?)

Been bled twice so I know there's no AIR in the system
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

Re: Spongy brake Pedal

by stevo turbo » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:36 pm

dont suppose you have done the same as me last week and had both calipers off at the same time and refitted to the wrong sides :doh: feckin stupid thing to do i know. the bleed nipple needs to be at the top of the caliper
Club Member
Club Member

by KERR_SE9 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:23 pm

Calipers havn't been touched, bleed it manually, never been decent since new lines/hoses
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by stevo turbo » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:35 pm

just make sure they are the fitted to the correct sides then as they WILL hold air in the calipers otherwise dont matter how much you bleed them. pressure bleeding is the boy though :)
Club Member
Club Member

by Stupink » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:36 pm

should be softer with engine on than off, but should hold pressure, ie press pedal and hold, and pedal shoudlnt drop to floor(not true for modern vehicles)... if it keeps sinking master may be gone, common on older setups when you manually bleed as you push the master past the point it normally operates into gunkland...
doesnt sound like it is tho as the pedal sounds firm when engiens off..
Toyota Mr-2 roadster turbo
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by KERR_SE9 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:02 pm

Doesn't drop to the floor, Soft when running and can pump it up FIRM when engines off
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net