Some help please with suspension kit & new bushes

Any issues relating to suspension, steering and brakes.

Some help please with suspension kit & new bushes

by cal16v » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:15 pm

Hi to everyone,

After registering on here last year pending some restoration I've only now got around to getting things started :shock:

Anyway I have a respray planned in the next month or so some pics will mean starting a new thread.

In the meantime though I'm trying to sort some springs/shocks and bushes all round. For starters I came across this kit and wondered what you folk think;

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/performan ... -rear-35mm

Comes to £460 or AU$850 delivered to Syd Aus. In comparison I am being quoted $1125 locally for front/rear adjustable Koni's without lowering springs.

On the subject of local, suppliers here of bushes is Nolathane and Super Pro but neither offers the cross member mounts. A recent email from Powerflex confirms they don't do them either so what do you guys use?

I've been reading through much of the site over the past months so thanks for the informative posts.
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

Re: Some help please with suspension kit & new bushes

by v6 steve » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:27 pm

most on here have Bilstein shocks and eibach springs as for the bushes i would go for new std ones poly ones are very hard unless its for track use

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bilstein-B4-F ... 3a9533a6ba

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Eibach-Pro-Ki ... 20ed60b279
steve
Chairman

The Drain

LE 4x4 turbo

SE2 4x4 turbo RIP
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by cal16v » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:07 am

Thanks for the reply.

Found these locally so I think I'll go with these;

When you suggest to stick with std (rubber) are you referring to these mounts only or throughout the suspension generally?

Re the shocks/springs I managed a better deal through DCPerformance.co.uk. Dan understands the meaning of service and has been more than helpful so far. As a comparison I've been waiting 4 days for autovaux just to reply to my email re the bushes

Many thanks
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by EddeyDancer » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:09 am

cal16v wrote: On the subject of local, suppliers here of bushes is Nolathane and Super Pro but neither offers the cross member mounts.
A recent email from Powerflex confirms they don't do them either, so what do you guys use?

Mate, I have these donut mounts in stock, and I'm in Sydney...
http://www.vauxhall-car-parts.co.uk/aca ... 4207N.html
The Ghost - V6 Opel
'Calibra with Style'
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by LE16 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:48 pm

I have fully Powerflex (Yellow) set up. Best thing I ever did. I don't find it hard either. Its pretty elastic to be honest and the car has pin sharp handling and cornering.
Sean

SE5 Turbo
LE 07
LE 16
Turbo
Another Turbo
Se7
V6
16V
8v
Club Member
Club Member

by geoffhartwell » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:33 pm

hi all , i am in the middle of negotiations of owning a 1995 16v , i used to own one nearly 20 years ago, always found them to have a lot of roll in the corners, so im looking to change suspension and bushes, would love some advice as i know very little about suspension , like the idea of the powerflex but not sure what i need. Geoff
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by MarkV6 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:32 pm

geoffhartwell wrote:hi all , i am in the middle of negotiations of owning a 1995 16v , i used to own one nearly 20 years ago, always found them to have a lot of roll in the corners, so im looking to change suspension and bushes, would love some advice as i know very little about suspension , like the idea of the powerflex but not sure what i need. Geoff

Hello Geoff, welcome to the site.

To control the body roll you will need to change the springs and dampers to uprated items. ie stiffer/firmer to be more resistant to body roll. As listed above most people have the Bilstein dampers and Eibach springs setup.
Upgraded anti roll bars 'used' to be available from Whiteline but I think these have been discontinued.

As for the powerflex bushes these would only assist in keeping your suspension geometry in check, as the original rubber bushes can stretch/compress under the forces allowing the geometry to fall outside of the specifications. Some users of pflex bushes have noted an increase in vibrations/noise transmitted through the car.

If you get a set of lowering springs these can cause excessive rear camber, but you can get a set of pflex eccentric rear bushes to help 'dial out' the excess.
I used to own this Calibra...
I now own this one.

Xbox live gamertag IcedSage
PS3 PS4 network gamertag Calibra-Madman
Gold Club Member
Gold Club Member

by geoffhartwell » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:11 pm

thanks marks , would these do the job https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Powerflex-Bl ... SwHrVajyvJ
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net