Springs - Apex ?

Any issues relating to suspension, steering and brakes.

by cookie_8v » Mon Sep 27, 2004 6:42 am

Hi Guys

Looking for some advice. I recently found out the rear passanger side spring is broke so need to replace them. Whilst doing so i will lower the car to get rid of the postbox sized hole.

I have seen an APEX ful suspension kit for just £200 and wondered is it a cheap unworthwhile kit or is it ok ? does anyone have any experiance with this kit or is it just worth getting Eibach / Spax springs and replacing shock with OE ones so i dont loose the comfort factor ?
cookie_8v

by Mac » Mon Sep 27, 2004 11:20 pm

Alot of peeps recommend eibachs for comfort, Venom do a good deal, Just ordered a set.
As far as shockers go peeps recommend koni's.
I suppose if you buy cheep then you'll get a cheap ride on them( like a brick)
Mac

by cookie_8v » Tue Sep 28, 2004 6:31 am

thanks Mac thought that might be the case
cookie_8v

by Fostersice17 » Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:27 am

I have koni's springs and dampers all round,the adjustable ones which are good,DO NOT change the springs without using up-rated dampers,i did this before with H&R springs and the car bounced around all over the place,lowered springs are designed to be used with uprated dampers.If you dont you will get handling problems,i am talking from personal experience!!
Fostersice17

by RobbieV » Wed Sep 29, 2004 6:58 am

My V6 has been running on Gmax lowered 40mm springs with 215/40/17 wheels on an et47 ofset for over 6 months without any problems.

Most cars have a good 10-13cm (4-5 inches) movement in their suspension from the factory. As most of the lowering springs you can buy only lower by 2-7cm (1-3 inches), your suspension should still be well within it's designed operating limits.

The above info came from this site

<a href="http://www.chris-longhurst.com/carbibles/index.html?menu.html&tyre_bible.html" target="_blank">http://www.chris-longhurst.com/carbibles/i...tyre_bible.html</a>
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Fostersice17 » Thu Sep 30, 2004 10:49 am

You are lucky then robbie,As i quoted above up-rated springs are designed to be used with up-rated dampers.I had serious handling problems with just changing the springs.
Fostersice17