Problems adjusting handbrake

Any issues relating to suspension, steering and brakes.

New site and gallery and my car

by dazjb » Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:00 pm

Hi,

Over the weekend I attempted to adjust my handbrake as its very poor and doesn’t bite until I lift it right up to the top. The Haynes manual states that I pull the handbrake up to a certain notch (I think it was notch 2) before adjusting the screws for the handbrake shoes at the rear wheels. Problem is I can move my handbrake from bottom to top in one smooth action, I cannot feel any notches or clicks!

Is this what the problem is with my handbrake, has something worn below it which is not causing movement over these so called notches or should I just guess where notch 2 is, pull the handbrake into the approximate position and adjust the screws at the rear wheels? … hope that makes sense! :roll:

Any advice folks as its up for MOT soon and this is a definite fail.

Cheers
dazjb

by jaybv6 » Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:29 pm

Try pulling the handbrake up without pressing the button in. You can then hear the notches. Assuming that the handbrake is braking the rear wheels at the asme force then the handbrake can be adjusted in the centre of the car. When I have more time later on I will post the process for doing this.
jaybv6

by dazjb » Tue Feb 17, 2004 10:23 am

Yeah, that would be great jaybv6. Thanks.
dazjb

by jaybv6 » Tue Feb 17, 2004 10:53 pm

Right, sorry for the delay. You need to jack the rear of the car up onto axle stands so that the rear wheels rotate freely. Once the car is secure get yourself underneath.

Work your way back from the CAT and you will see a heat shield above the exhaust. This is held on by 4 10mm nuts. remove them and look at the left hand side of the exhaust behind the heat shield. you will see the handbrake cables comnig from the rear of the car (2 in total) and they are attached to a bracket. The Bracket has a 13mm bolt going through the centre of it.

You will need to release the handbrake and start tightening this nut up until the rear wheels start to lock. Slacken it of a little bit and make sure the rear wheels move freely. Pull your handbrake up 1 nothc at a time until the wheels lock hard enought that you can't move the wheels with your hands (should be around 3-4 notches).

If you have tightened it up too much it is easy enought to slacken off.

If the one rear wheel locks before the other then it needs adusting from the rear hubs, the process for this is in the haynes manual.

I hope the above makes sense, if not just ask and I will try and clarify it.
jaybv6

by dazjb » Wed Feb 18, 2004 9:04 am

Great Stuff. Will give that a try this weekend...just hope the weather holds out!

Thanks for your help. Much appreciated
dazjb