Anti Roll Bar Link.... Where & How much?

Any issues relating to suspension, steering and brakes.

RE: Chrome Sir?

by craigmcd82 » Mon Nov 29, 2004 7:35 pm

I finally got round to changing the oil, and sorting the pressure gauge out today...

While under the car I found that the offside anti roll bar link is sheared off, which explains the clunking ive been hearing recently. [img]/smile.gif[/img]

Anyone know where the best place is to get one of these from, and how much its gonna set me back?

Cheers!!
craigmcd82

by Mac » Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:47 am

Any motor factors really cost about £5. Libral use of fairy liquid when putting on helps.
Mac

by craigmcd82 » Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:55 am

Cheers Mac

And thanks for the tip about the fairy! :thumb:

Im gonna have a bash at this today, anyone else got any pearls of wisdom?
craigmcd82

RE: Calibra Turbo brake disc sizes

by Monkey » Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:31 pm

Patience! Just cut the old one off then use the fairy liquid or something similar as Mac said. They can take anywhere from 5 minutes to over an hour if they want to be a git. Make sure you get the right one, I think all Callys had the same diameter anit roll bars but some of the Cavaliers had thinner ones. I've known people be given the wrong part, very frustrating!
Monkey

RE: My poor car!!!

by Blossey » Tue Nov 30, 2004 5:07 pm

Both of mine sheared off a couple of months ago, got replacements from a motor factors (MACPA in Leicester), I'm pretty sure they were about £10 each so if you see them at £5 then grab 'em quick.

I made the mistake of trying to attack them with a junior hacksaw, managed to get the plastic off but not the rubber which seemed to be stuck to the bar. Eventually took it to VTS as I needed the fuel filter changing and a new CV boot, the anti-roll bar links seemed far easier to get off once the car was raised in the air and attacked with a large hacksaw! The new ones actually seemed to go back on quite easily once the bar had been filed down a bit to get rid of the flaking paint & stuff. Grease or fairy liquid was also recommended to me which can only make it easier.

Good luck with it. Are you around Loughborough alot? Haven't seen you in this neck of the woods, there's a couple of Calibra 16v's but no-one else who attends the midlands meet.
Blossey

Oil pump

by Leigh » Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:38 pm

Exactly how much do you need to dismantle to change them?? I was always under the impression you had to remove wishbones etc...
Leigh

by craigmcd82 » Tue Nov 30, 2004 7:37 pm

Cool....!

I did this today, relatively few problems. Paid £12 for the part, about what i was expecting...

All that I had to do was jack the car up an take the wheel off. I used an axle stand, which was handy as I needed the jack for something else later on!

Then I used a socket set, but couldnt get enough leverage, so improvised by putting the handle of the hydraulic jack over the wrench to extend it.. After I discovered that the other side was turning as well I held that part still by putting an spanner on it and used the wishbone as a stop.

Putting the new one on was a piece of p1ss - the new style doesnt have to be forced in, as the bushes are the right shape. Once i'd bolted it to the wish bone, I had to use the jack to raise the wishbone so it could reach the anti roll bar.... An jobs a good un!

No need for a hacksaw or fairy in the end...

I reckon I could do it much easier now i know how! [img]/biggrin.gif[/img]

Oh & Cheers for the tips & advice everyone! :thumb:

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Are you around Loughborough alot? Haven't seen you in this neck of the woods<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Blossey - I went to Loughborough Uni, but ive graduated now and moved back home to Bedford (really should update my profile!). Im still about occasionally, but havnt been able to make it to a midlands meet for a long time! I really wanted to come on the 5th but I'l be at my girlfriends in Wigan that weekend...

Im up this Friday, going to the student union - Its "Pirates & Wenches" Theme (Arrr) - Oh, and Karl Kennedy from neighbours will be there! (Already met Steph & Joe Scully!) [img]/biggrin.gif[/img]

When i was there tho, I lived in Havelock st, right in the corner of student village. There was a car bodyshop & Travis Perkins right behind my house, and a pub called the station arms at the end of the road... Where abouts are in Lufbra are you mate? :beer:
craigmcd82

RE: If you leave me now............

by Leigh » Tue Nov 30, 2004 8:19 pm

Ah cool, I'm probably still to chicken to try it next time it needs doing, but doesn't sound as much work as I thought.
(I'm sure someone will remind me I said that after I've spent an hour swearing at it for not moving in years to come..)
Leigh

by craigmcd82 » Tue Nov 30, 2004 8:24 pm

Blimey Leigh, what is it about your car & my car having all the same problems / mods going on at the same time? ...Or are you just getting prepared for the inevitable? [img]/smile.gif[/img]

Seriously tho - you'l be fine... you will have the newer one like mine, and worse case - the old link *could* be cut off if it has properly seized on.

Took me about an hour an a half, including the usual faffing about I always seem to do... Just remember: If I can do it, anyone can! [img]/wink.gif[/img]
craigmcd82

RE: If you leave me now............

by Leigh » Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:07 pm

Just in preparation thankfully Craig, tho I had one of the front ones done several months ago when I was getting the MOT done, and of course me having said "in preparation", means that when I go out in about 5 mins the s*dding thing will probably shear off!!
Leigh

RE: Re: RE: Types of green calibras?

by Blossey » Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:17 pm

craigmcd82 wrote:
I reckon I could do it much easier now i know how! [img]/biggrin.gif[/img]

If only everything went according to plan! Half the time when I tackle something there's always a part that's seized on or is impossible to get to......

When i was there tho, I lived in Havelock st, right in the corner of student village. There was a car bodyshop & Travis Perkins right behind my house, and a pub called the station arms at the end of the road... Where abouts are in Lufbra are you mate? :beer:

I know exactly where you mean, half of Loughborough seems to live within that square mile! I live a little further out towards the train station in order to avoid the noisy students these days, I'm only jealous of 'em really 'cos they remind me of when I could sleep all day, drink all night and had no responsibilities at the Uni!

Have fun with the Wenches on Friday!

Glad to hear you got your drop-links sorted, love it when a plan comes together!
Blossey

RE: Wheel Locking Nuts

by craigmcd82 » Wed Dec 01, 2004 3:39 pm

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I know exactly where you mean, half of Loughborough seems to live within that square mile!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Yeah, it was the middle of the three 'newer' houses right at the bottom... There are 4 off street parking spaces next to them (where some theiving scum tried to steal my car and left it dumped outside Travis Perkins!). Totally miss the social life of uni - ive come back home and have no job & no mates!! But im glad I dont have all those exams and deadlines looming all the time!

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Glad to hear you got your drop-links sorted, love it when a plan comes together!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Cheers... Tell me about it - I always get an overwhelming feeling of smug self satisfaction when I can manage do something myself! [img]/biggrin.gif[/img]
craigmcd82

RE: Water Pump BELT

by Smurf » Wed Dec 01, 2004 4:45 pm

I replaced one on my V6 a few months ago and it was a right bugger to get the old one off - until I soaked the thing in WD40 and left it for a cuppa, came back and it was a piece of cake [img]/biggrin.gif[/img]
Smurf

by ROG » Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:36 pm

Ive just replaced mine, with the wishbones on a M reg turbo, took 10 min tops for the anti roll bar ends as there bolt on both ends, not so easy to undo the wishbones though.
ROG