Wheel Locking Nuts

Any issues relating to suspension, steering and brakes.

RE: Re: RE: Dont ever let ME buy a Turbo...

by stevo » Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:08 pm

right ive owned my car for about 2 months, and had a thought. weres the vauxhall locking nut key?? :-o

mine are standard 15" rims [img]/laugh.gif[/img] with the locking device on the wheel bolt cover cap. does anyone know if vauxhall will supply me some?? of how i can get them off? as im kinda f00k3d if i get a punchture [img]/sad.gif[/img]
stevo

please spare a thought.... *** WARNING VERY DISTURBING***

by Blossey » Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:31 pm

Although I had my locking nut key, it seemed to be the cr*pest design ever and eventually died on me. Went to Vauxhall, they couldn't give me a replacement key as the code printed on it wasn't a proper code (apparently!), they have to know the actual code from the paper supplied with the locking nuts. Reminder to everyone to keep this jotted down somewhere safe.

I had to buy a new set with a new key, about £25 from Vauxhall or any other decent motor store, then take the car to a garage where they removed the old ones. The garage charged about £7 per wheel and it took them about 15 minutes in total. They used a 'wheel locking nut remover' which is basically a socket with a reversed thread which screws onto the nut, it may require a big hammer also to get a good fit, but otherwise they should then just screw off. Most garages however won't even attempt to try and remove them, I think it all depends on who owns the garage and whether the money is going into their pocket or their boss's!

Incidentally, you can pick these nut removers (sounds painful) up off ebay or from a car parts place for around a tenner or so, well worth having just in case.

Good luck!
Blossey

by stevo » Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:59 pm

thanks mate, any chance anyone has a locking nut with same pattern as mine??

were is keep normally kepted? i havent taken spare wheel out yet. but ive checked everywhere else.

Thanks mate.
stevo

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Dont ever let ME buy a Turbo...

by Blossey » Wed Dec 01, 2004 3:29 pm

Don't believe there's a dedicated place for it so just try:

1. Front Ashtray
2. Rear Ashtray
3. Glovebox
4. Spare wheel storage in boot
5. Compartment behind rear number plate
6. Storage compartments in boot (both sides)
7. Under drivers seat

Otherwise, can't think of any other storage places. Had to list a few obvious places otherwise everyone would guess where I keep mine!! (which is of course in my trouser pocket so that a car thief won't take the all-important locking nut!). Please no jokes about nuts in pockets [img]/biggrin.gif[/img]

Car dealers (Vauxhall etc) are meant to keep records of all codes and such-like when the car is sold from new, there is a remote possibility that they've got these records still on computer, if you can trace the original dealer that is. Also, check your folder of receipts (if you got any) from the previous owner(s), they may have bought the locking nuts and written the number on the invoice.

Best and quickest bet though is to contact the previous owner and ask him, it may well be sitting in his garage or on his desk, alternatively he may have lost it and simply not told you.
Blossey

by ROG » Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:32 pm

Is this just the center 3 pin thing, that holds the plate on over the wheel nuts, if it is there all the same and vx do supply them, there usualy in the spare wheel bit, i undo mine on my omega with a screwdriver and a hammer and tap them around
ROG