BIG brake upgrade dilema!!!!!!

Any issues relating to suspension, steering and brakes.

Wheel nut covers wanted

by ric » Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:22 pm

OK, just got a set of 19s on my 16v ecotec calibra, so i was ready to spend over a grand on one of those lovely lookin hi-spec kits (the gold coloured callipers do it for me) until i found out that it was just for the front wheels!!!

So im lookin to upgrade to at least 320mm discs alround with nice looking calipers for both front and rear wheels. Does anyone know of or have fitted any kits like this?

Or should i get seperates (ie a set of 320mm discs from somewhere and a set of callipers from somewhere else)
PLEASE HELP!!

cheers guys & gals.
ric

RE: 40mm drop. Before & after pics

by gran » Mon Dec 06, 2004 8:36 pm

first off i wouldnt bother with hi spec, never really rated them. go for tarox or something.

havent seen any rear conversions worth spending the money on, they dont really do a lot apart from look pretty anyway.

red dot also have some good prices on kits of you shop around.
gran

RE: BIG brake upgrade dilema!!!!!!

by leegsi » Mon Dec 06, 2004 8:38 pm

I have the 335's from <a href="http://www.godspeedbrakes.co.uk" target="_blank">www.godspeedbrakes.co.uk</a>

Very good brakes (The big reds (Brembo's) are Porsche calipers)
leegsi

by kingsley » Mon Dec 06, 2004 8:57 pm

I've had Tarox before. I found Pagid to be noticeably better.
kingsley

by Davidch » Mon Dec 06, 2004 9:17 pm

Yeah as Lee said Ring Ian @ Godspeed will be able to sort u out.

Pics of the 19's would be good.
Davidch

by ric » Mon Dec 06, 2004 9:22 pm

Looks like godspeed is gona get a call frm me [img]/biggrin.gif[/img]

il get sum more pics of my car up, sometime in the near future, as iv jst fitted a cool jap rear bumper (iv modified it a bit) and an astra didital dash. looks the bollox now.

thanx guys, helped me lots. Merry christmas also :-P
ric

RE: Yet another newbie!

by trev150 » Mon Dec 06, 2004 9:44 pm

You don't really want to have the brakes on the back as good as the ones on the front, because it will make the car unsteady when you brake hard.
80% of all your braking is done by the front brakes, so don't buy any rears and just get some TEN POT CALIPERS from TAR.OX for the fron't they will be the best brakes you can get.
Just upgrade the rears to somthing a little better maybe 285mm with standard calipers?

Trev
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by ric » Mon Dec 06, 2004 9:47 pm

cheers trev, just worried about it lookin a little odd with huge discs at the front and something resembling 5 pence peices at the back!
ric

by trev150 » Mon Dec 06, 2004 9:49 pm

LOL at ric's 19" alloy 5 pence piece!!

trev
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Dan Willis » Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:24 pm

Wouldn't bother touching the rears.. just get new discs, pads and bleed it. Waste of money to go bigger back there.

I'm tempted to get the 308 fronts - should do the job.
Dan
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

RE: U.S.Robotics 8054 Wireless Router...

by MickM » Mon Dec 13, 2004 1:22 pm

Try swapping your flexible hoses for braided first. A fraction of the cost and probably more noticeable than a big brake conversion. The only reason to go for bigger brakes is for more heat dissipation and reduction in fade. If fade is your problem then go for the bigger discs as well. I know you can get different heat range pads but it's always a compromise...
MickM

by IanW » Mon Dec 13, 2004 1:39 pm

Ian at Godspeed is a great guy, just a little hard to get hold of sometimes as he is so busy!
IanW