Wheels rubbing on arches suddenly?!

Any issues relating to suspension, steering and brakes.

oh so true !!!!!!

by Phil » Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:39 pm

Can anyone help? My 91 8v has 18's on her with 225 /45 tyres. Standard suspension and all has been well for 1 or 2 years with it all. This weekend the front passenger side wheel starts rubbing on every bend and bump. It's gonna kill the arch. Taken it to my garage, they can't find any fault with the shocks or the springs other than being a little saggy due to age!

Any ideas anyone please?

Thanks
Phil

by stevo » Mon Dec 13, 2004 8:12 pm

i can only guess the shock absorber is faulty? or need topping up with oi? maybe the spring has properly bedded in?
Take it to a MOT centr so they can check it over mate.
stevo

RE: Re: RE: World record for longest oil & filter change

by Mac » Mon Dec 13, 2004 8:49 pm

The strut top donut bush/bearing could be your problem as these take the weight of the front end, They are prone for the centre plate to crack/crumble and the whole strut can move upwards 10-15mm.
To check them, take off the stut top plate in the bay(11mm and a 24mm spanner) and look for cracks. (a new donut is about £14 and bearings are about £4each)
Hope this helps
Mac

by Phil » Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:24 am

Cheers Mac, I'll check that out first, as that seems the most economical.

Interestingly the garage were able to replicate the problem, and have put it down to the shocks or maybe springs. I'll ask them to look at the top first though! If not any recomendations on absorbers or springs? Standard ride height, but I'll live with better handling ;-)
Cheers.
Phil

Heat Control, Blown Bulb.

by leegsi » Tue Dec 14, 2004 5:59 pm

Aslo I have known springs to break
leegsi

by swchoi » Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:51 pm

According to Mac, 'A donut', is powerflex one available as well? Mine does that too., It is bloody annoying as I get nerovus keep hearing the noise.
swchoi

RE: 8/18inch compomotive MO

by projectx » Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:55 am

Also, the plastic inner-arch might have become dislodged, and the tyre might be catching that, not your metal arch. Mine did that, and the noise it makes sounds worse than when the tyre does *actually* catch the metal arch.

Just my two cents [img]/smile.gif[/img]
projectx

Awesome Supra on e-Bay

by Phil » Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:06 am

Cheers Chris,

It turned out to be dead shocks and springs. They were knoackered when they were off the car.
Replacements all round, has started my nightmare!!
Phil

Interesting exhaust on ebay

by projectx » Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:42 pm

Are you gonna replace them with standard ones? I've got a set of standard shocks (and maybe standard springs) that I might want to sell. Perhaps drop me a PM if you're interseted.
projectx

RE: trip computer + sunroof switch

by Mac » Sat Jan 29, 2005 1:33 am

A Donut!!!!!Check out Mr. Dunkin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumb:
Mac

by swchoi » Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:21 pm

Mr. dunkin didn't wanna make me one with urethan. I have checked with him this morning at Texaco.
swchoi

Jeez, now I'm mad!

by Mac » Sat Jan 29, 2005 10:11 pm

:love: :monkey:
Mac

by swchoi » Sun Jan 30, 2005 1:33 pm

lol
swchoi