braking scares me!

Any issues relating to suspension, steering and brakes.

by Enigmatic » Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:39 pm

today when i was braking over a drain cover, i could feel a judder through the pedal

and the car was still travelling had to pump the brake to stop

scared the crap out of me

what is it?!

worn discs or pads?
Enigmatic

RE: nice calibra SE5 on ebay

by gran » Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:56 pm

wet drain cover maybe?
gran

RE: braking scares me!

by jonnyboy » Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:00 am

ABS
jonnyboy

by projectx » Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:27 am

ABS, cold, and wet. Three things that add up to a weird braking experience [img]/smile.gif[/img] Get used to it, unless you drive everywhere at 5MPH there's always the odd thing here and there that will snag a wheel.
projectx

RE: nice calibra SE5 on ebay

by Smurf » Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:45 am

Yep - combination of wet drain cover and ABS. Nowt to worry about I'd say.
Smurf

RE: modded Skyline R34 GTR

by Enigmatic » Fri Dec 31, 2004 1:34 am

yeah but no but, if there was a car in front i would of been in it

and the crunch i was feeling through the brakes didnt feel nice a grinding feeling
Enigmatic

RE: Irmscher Camber Correction Bushes...

by gran » Fri Dec 31, 2004 1:39 am

drive slower and not so close then! lol

if all else fails, jump out.
gran

RE: braking scares me!

by Enigmatic » Fri Dec 31, 2004 1:41 am

pfffft thanks for the helpful info [img]/smile.gif[/img]
Enigmatic

by Rusty_CallyT » Fri Dec 31, 2004 2:29 am

lol ABS is a strange one.. iv not had a car with it before the *cough* vectra *cough* and when i went flying round a bend slamming on the brakes cos i was going way too fast.. was an interesting feeling of being able to steer.. not locking the wheels.. and the pedal falling away from you foot lol quite a loud noise when its triggered too
Rusty_CallyT

WARNING - Tsunami Aid Scam

by projectx » Fri Dec 31, 2004 3:16 am

Well enigmatic, I guess there could be something else wrong as well, but it does sound on the surface of things like it's just your ABS. It is weird if you're not used to what it feels like (I mess about in the wet just so I know what the car behaves like in case of emergency), but if you're not happy then it may be worth you getting them checked out. What's it like in the dry?
projectx

RE: A new e bay Scam.. There getting better now.

by Enigmatic » Fri Dec 31, 2004 11:09 am

fine in the dry no problems but if i go over a bump lets say and brake again it happens doesnt always have to be raining.. drain covers i avoid braking on

its a bit unerving

gonna get it checked out in the new year
already had a smack in it dont fancy another
Enigmatic

RE: WARNING - Tsunami Aid Scam

by Robert_Dale » Fri Dec 31, 2004 11:30 am

Yeh sounds like you ABS mate, could be malfunctioning

I'm not a fan of ABS cos it scares the sh*t out of me when it goes on, especially when you don't expect it lol
Robert_Dale

by complaints69 » Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:28 pm

I had a 16valver that only messed up when turning at low speeds, higher speeds it was fine. there was a fault somewhere, but it did stop me when it was required.
If you are not comfortable with it, definately get it looked at. If you love your car and it lets you down on somthing as important as the brakes, sort it before it sorts you! I would, especially as it sounds like it is hapening at higher speeds!
Calibra Turbo LE 28
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by projectx » Fri Dec 31, 2004 1:07 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-complaints69+--><div class='quotetop'>(complaints69)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->...sort it before it sorts you! I would, especially as it sounds like it is hapening at higher speeds!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I agree with this sentiment. One thing that can apparantly cause problems with the ABS is when the thing the ABS sensor reads (it's usually a little wheel on each hub with gaps in it for the sensor to read) gets gummed up with cack to the point where the sensor has problems reading it. This can make the activation of the ABS erratic.
projectx