16v Steering Rack probs....

Any issues relating to suspension, steering and brakes.

RE: who works in Theale (Berkshire) then?

by noelboy » Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:52 pm

The last few days I've noticed the rack really badly whinning, I checked the fluid and it was only half full. Topped it up and the noise went away but now a day later it's back and the bottles half empty again!
Where are the common places for a leak on this?
Can I do any longterm damage driving back from work like this?
noelboy

RE: Cleaning engine bay...

by noelboy » Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:03 am

no one?
noelboy

Re: 16v Steering Rack probs....

by Fortuna » Sat Feb 05, 2005 5:53 pm

<!--fonto:Fixedsys--><span style="font-family:Fixedsys"><!--/fonto-->I've only just got back into CC after months of Logging-in problems and I was so sad to see your problem wasnt answered. I really do hope it is by now.<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->

<!--fonto:Fixedsys--><span style="font-family:Fixedsys"><!--/fonto-->The racks usually lose fluid at the two unions up on the top right of the engine bay but could leak from any union. You'll have to check each one including those at the pump. Even very slow leaks will show woith a black dusty deposit. If you are replacing the rack, good luck. Its really awkward. I did it about a month ago and it took two days!! I had purchased a recon one from ebay but although the dimensions were right it had the wrong type of joint to steering column so I had to change it. You need to get6 down in the footwell with a torch and see what type of joint you have. If its the same as your new one, the right dimensions, and the same lock to lock ratio then you can fit it. Good luck!!<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->
Fortuna

by noelboy » Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:57 pm

Thanks for getting back to me.
I can watch the fluid drip from the center of the rack (I think from the bellow).
It's such a bad leak that it runs dry in about 30 mins!
I've sourced a new rack (recon unit) and someone to help me fit it.
So all things well this weekend it should be sorted....fingers crossed
noelboy