Urgent help needed very strange vibrations

Any issues relating to suspension, steering and brakes.

by hotrodjay » Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:22 am

check your wheelbearings they tend to rumble when turning 1 way and not the other as there is more/ less load on them.
hotrodjay

by fatboy_v6 » Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:41 pm

He's already checked them. Theres no play in anything underneath at all. Just don't know if he needs to look deeper or where to start. Don't really wanna start taking gearbox or diff off if he dosen't have to.
fatboy_v6

by Dan Willis » Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:49 pm

I guess it could be the diff in the gearbox - or maybe the shaft itself. I know the 16v ones had balancers - does the V6? Maybe one has come off?
Dan
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by fatboy_v6 » Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:09 pm

It's not the shafts coz they've been checked and it's far too violent for any kind of balancing. Looks like the dampers, shocks and bushes are coming off next. They've already been checked over but without replacing i can't eliminate anything. Well at least he's not charging me labour for all this.
fatboy_v6

by Kieran_Burns » Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:19 pm

Would split engine mounts be an option here? If the engine is resting on the mount points it *might* account for the vibration....
Kieran_Burns

by thegenie1 » Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:28 pm

have a look at the engine mount ive had a prob where one of the front engine mounts have gone and when i was cornering the engine used to vibrat through the shassis
thegenie1

by Kieran_Burns » Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:34 pm

Same idea in 10 minutes of each other! Must be right then [img]/biggrin.gif[/img]
Kieran_Burns

by fatboy_v6 » Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:56 pm

I thought engine mounts were part of the mot? Surely if they were that worn someone would have spotted them? but i will get them to check
Thanks guys
fatboy_v6

by fatboy_v6 » Fri Feb 25, 2005 4:50 pm

Ok i've checked with the garage and it's definatly not the engine mounts so it looks like theres a new shock absorber going on next week. I just hope it's that coz it's getting worse. Road holding feels really bad from the pull off and the vibration is now starting at about 30.
fatboy_v6

by thegenie1 » Fri Feb 25, 2005 5:16 pm

when ya do the new shock check the shock to bearing and rubber housing this can caurse alot of noise but normaly it nocks first but check it any way
gav
thegenie1

by ROG » Fri Feb 25, 2005 5:32 pm

Try a different set of wheels, mine were bent very slightly after i did an enormous wheelie off a speed bump, it couldnt be seen, but once i got to 50 it vibrated quite badly, it got worse and stuffed the wishbones and antiroll bar links, i replaced them and it still vibrated a bit, i changed to my old vx alloys and it whent away so i got a new set and it feels great now.
ROG

by 4x4Turbo » Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:09 pm

sounds like ive got exactly the same problem, its quite a violent judder however mine only does it now and then but when it does its pretty scary!! ive done the bottom arms etc and i thought it had cured it but it hasnt, i think im gonna come to the conclusion its the diff locking up, but i dont want to do this in case its just a cv joint or something!!

olly
4x4Turbo

by fatboy_v6 » Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:29 pm

Well i can rule out the shock absorber and she goes back in tomorrow to have the drive shaft replaced. I'm hoping it's not the diff coz i guess that's gonna be expensive. Oh and for the good news, i don't have to sell her WOHOO!!
fatboy_v6

by fatboy_v6 » Tue Mar 08, 2005 6:04 pm

She's fixed!! New drive shaft on and she's running good again.
fatboy_v6

by 4x4Turbo » Thu Mar 10, 2005 2:20 pm

done the cv on mine and shes sweet to!! looks like a double result!!!
4x4Turbo

PreviousNext