Rear tyres shagged

Any issues relating to suspension, steering and brakes.

Rear tyres shagged

by widget » Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:55 am

I went to have a couple of new tyres yesterday to replace the fronts - and was going to have them put on the back - and the backs swapped to the fronts - only to find the rear tyres are shagged. :-(

they've worn the inside shoulder right off both tyres - theres still about 5mm left over the rest of the tyre.

When the garage had the car up on the lift to do the tracking you could almost perceive the rear wheels sort of splaying out (ie further apart at the bottom than they are at the top when looking from the rear.) - whish would account for how they've worn.

I'm going to need more new tyres - but not before I've had fixed whatevers gone wrong.

The bloke in the garage said suspension bushes - said he'd seen this type of tyre wear a lot before on Callys - although in the 7 years I've had mine I've never seen it. I had the front and rear bushes replaced by vauxhall a couple of years ago.

...whats gone wrong this time?

Graham
widget

by Smurf » Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:33 am

I have EXACTLY the same problem as you Graham on the fronts. Backs were fine but the fronts were worn right down on the inner edge and they nearly failed me for it on the MOT.

The place that did the MOT said it'd be my tracking as the suspension all seemed fine (however, one of the front bushes is beginning to crack apparently).

I need to get this sorted on mine in the next week or so (currently have swapped back to front).
Smurf

by splinter » Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:19 am

Had this on mine too about two weeks ago... my fronts where gone but the rears are where ok.. and i have bad camber on the rear .

Yes 4 new ones [img]/sad.gif[/img]
I get blown by Twins everyday !!!!

The old skyline gtr felt exciting even when it was in a car wash !!!!! :)
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by widget » Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:23 am

not sure its tracking - not on mine anyway as its on rear.

tracking affects toe-in and toe-out - it would still scrub over the whole tyre I think if it was out of alignment - I think its the geometry thats causing such major wear on the shoulders of the tyres.

I had my bushes done - front and rear as they were splitting - no idea whats causing this new wear.

Graham
widget

by widget » Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:29 am

do either of you go to Newbury Tyre and Exhaust centre - they said they'd seen lots of callys with this problem
widget

by Rusty_CallyT » Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:31 am

cant really help but iv heard of this happening loads of times on several forums.
Rusty_CallyT

by Smurf » Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:36 am

<!--QuoteBegin-widget+--><div class='quotetop'>(widget)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->do either of you go to Newbury Tyre and Exhaust centre - they said they'd seen lots of callys with this problem<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I've used them a couple of times, but haven't been to them since having the V6.

I have real difficulty taking mine for the tracking to be checked due to the bodykit. There's only one place in Newbury (that I know of) which it'll get on, and they completely fudged it last time...
Smurf