Steering noises...?

Any issues relating to suspension, steering and brakes.

Steering noises...?

by steve3000 » Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:52 pm

Anyone help me on this one?

When I turn the cally's steering wheel at low speed or stationary, I hear (and feel) a noise like a spring going 'twang....twang...twang' as I'm turning the wheel.

Thought it would be the tie-rod end balljoints which were fooked, so changed these at the weekend but I'm still getting the same noise...

Ideas?

Steve
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by AndiSe5 » Wed Feb 16, 2005 7:05 pm

Id check for a broken spring maybe ?

Or posibly look for the strutop mooving in jolts when turning from lock to lock !

All the best
AndiSe5

by pauldarcy » Sun Mar 06, 2005 9:51 pm

my turbo was doing this after a long time tried looking at my cv joints even though the mechanic tested them and said they were fine. undone the boot and a ball bearing fell out. one cv later job done
pauldarcy

by steve3000 » Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:30 am

Ok, well it's definately not a broken spring, had a good look at them and they're both fine.

<!--QuoteBegin-pauldarcy+--><div class='quotetop'>(pauldarcy)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->my turbo was doing this after a long time tried looking at my cv joints even though the mechanic tested them and said they were fine. undone the boot and a ball bearing fell out. one cv later job done<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thanks for that - I hadn't even considered those (yet)...will take a look.

At the moment I'm thinking it might be the top mounting for the driver-side front suspension spring...looking at haynes manual it seems to have a plastic disc that it pushes onto, maybe it's not seated correctly? I don't know anything about suspension tho...?!?

Steve
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Dan Willis » Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:32 am

Also check that the spring isn't moving - they should lock in to place but if they move then you'll get that noise.
Dan
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by steve3000 » Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:21 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-willisit+--><div class='quotetop'>(willisit)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Also check that the spring isn't moving - they should lock in to place but if they move then you'll get that noise.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That's a good thought, will check tonight (if it's not dark by time I'm home) - is there any easy way to re-seat the spring? I guess you'd have to compress it, move it into location, then release? (or am I missing an obvious method?)...

Cheers,
Steve
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Mark1 » Tue Mar 08, 2005 4:27 pm

Steve my V6 does the same from time to time and it's the top bearing thats had it. They don't cost alot, think it was about £15 the pair.
Mark...........It's Red........It's a V6............It's an SE9!..............and She's bad.
Mark1@clubcalibra.net

ClubCalibra Best Presented 2006
ClubCalibra Best Presented 2010
ClubCalibra Best Interior 2011

My Garage
Club Treasurer
Club Treasurer

by steve3000 » Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:22 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Mark1+--><div class='quotetop'>(Mark1)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Steve my V6 does the same from time to time and it's the top bearing thats had it. They don't cost alot, think it was about £15 the pair.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ta mark, I noticed you'd mentioned that in a different post. Where is this 'top bearing' - my knowledge of suspension is pretty much non-existant...

Last time I spoke to my local garage they were convinced the whole strut would have to come out, spring be compressed and the top of the strut taken appart - to replace whatever they thought was wrong. Could that be the bearing???

Cheers,
Steve
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Mark1 » Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:53 pm

That's right, hole leg does have to come out.Then it's set right at the top it's not very big about 35mm DIA and sit's under the mounting rubber you will have to compress the spring to do it.
Mark...........It's Red........It's a V6............It's an SE9!..............and She's bad.
Mark1@clubcalibra.net

ClubCalibra Best Presented 2006
ClubCalibra Best Presented 2010
ClubCalibra Best Interior 2011

My Garage
Club Treasurer
Club Treasurer