can i lower with out rubbing???

Any issues relating to suspension, steering and brakes.

can i lower with out rubbing???

by jayl645 » Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:55 pm

hi all,ive just fitted 235/40/17's on the rear and ive got 205/40/17 on the front and im wondering if i can lower at all(and by how much),the rear tyres are very very wide,will i need to roal my arches,or as it gets lowered will it rub on the inner edge?,any advice would be great,thanks jay
jayl645

by davefly76 » Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:26 pm

don't know if lowering it will cause it to rub but my advice would be to change the tyres to the correct size. 205/40's are ok but you should really have 215/40's

[img]/smile.gif[/img]
davefly76

Tyres

by STEVEN MAYHEW » Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:33 pm

Hi,
I'm running 235/40x17 tyres all round on my SE7, but it is running standard suspension. The only problems I have encounted with this setup is when i'm five up and hit a large bump the tyre just catches the front inner mudshield but the back end has never been an issue for clearence, so you should be ok so long as the wheels are not too lower offset (taking width outwards)
STEVEN MAYHEW

by Dan Willis » Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:29 pm

If you lower it (and it's pretty much offset based) it'll probably rub. I know of a few 225s about and they are hit and miss on rubbing....

Why go so wide?
Dan
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by jayl645 » Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:26 pm

thanks for the replys ,i went so wide because i just realy realy realy like wide wheels and i got a good price (£80 for 2 brand new),i cant stop looking at them,and my camber angel looks well nice,my wheels are wolfrace matrix urban chrome,i was thinking lowering 20mm at the rear and 50mm at the front,but if it wont go with out rubbing i think i need to put my thinking cap on as to what to do
jayl645

by STEVEN MAYHEW » Sun Feb 20, 2005 12:19 am

I'm in full support with your thinking, my cally looks superb with the wide rubber even though it is a little on the high side. Just compromise a bit and don' t go silly and you will still then have a quick car. (The rule being "Too low will make you slow". Going on your original sizes you quoted you can drop 25 mm all round no probs
STEVEN MAYHEW

by jayl645 » Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:58 am

thanks for the reply,im guna look into lowering about 25mm then as u said,i never have any heavy people in the back so i hope it will be ok,i might go a little lower in the front to give it that hotrod look,i shouldnt have any probs with the front as the tyres are only 205/40/17,
jayl645

by STEVEN MAYHEW » Sun Feb 20, 2005 3:00 pm

Fair Play mate its your car at the end of the day. I would be inclined myself to stick with lowering by 25 mm all round and run a 215/40x17 on the front. You might end up with a weight balance issue running the front lower than the back on a 205/40x17 (Fair bit of difference in rolling diameter between the two sizes). Might make her a bit unstable on turn in, especially under braking and turn in. Up to you, go with your heart.
STEVEN MAYHEW

by jayl645 » Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:23 pm

my front tyres are due a change soon and i was going to go with 225/40/17,the thing is i dont know what my offset is!! its not stamped on them any where but there 7.5 wide,chears jay
jayl645