Urgent Help Needed On Wishbone Replacement

Any issues relating to suspension, steering and brakes.

Urgent Help Needed On Wishbone Replacement

by cookie_8v » Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:22 pm

Hi Guys

Going to do my suspension renewal today and I was replacing the wishbones at the same time as they are the old weak sytle, took the old one's off not a problem but now I am trying to fit the new one's and 6 hours !!! later I am still no further, I just cant get the pivot bolt to thread on the other end (end nearest the brakes. Does anyone have any tips for this or best way of doing it from experiance.

I have everything off (bar the antiroll bar) but cant get it to line up, anyone please please please help me.

Thanks
cookie_8v

by Fraz » Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:34 pm

you stil have the antiroll bar attached? if so there's your problem need to have everything off the botom arm then put the bolts in then attach the bottom ball joint and antiroll bar
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by ecosseM » Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:42 pm

mind if your doing a bottom arm 99% of the time youl need a new anti roll bar link to go with the arm
ecosseM

by STEVEN MAYHEW » Sat Feb 19, 2005 11:47 pm

I agree with both of above, disconnect the bar and fit new links, done hundreds of these things.
STEVEN MAYHEW

by cookie_8v » Sun Feb 20, 2005 9:58 am

Thanks guys, I do actually have the roll bar disconnected but only one side (which I am currently working on) so think it's best if I undo the other side aswell so I have more play.

I was lucky and the Anti Roll bar bushes are fine, they would of been a bugger as they are the old push fit ones.

Will hopefully get this pesky bolt in today then im away !
What a way to spend your weekend, still I think it's one of those once you have done it one's the rest will fly on.
cookie_8v

by Andy_Turbo4 » Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:49 am

Done mine about 6 months ago, cant remember much, but i know its a bit of a wiggle about to get it on, think i know the bolt your on about...try putting just a standard nut on first to pull the taper up on the pivot as the locking nut will spin the pivot to start with, then change it with the proper nut, or give the bottom of the joint a light blow with a soft mallet...or lol put some pressure under the joint with a small jack or such like but dont go overboard just enoungh to push the taper home.
Andy_Turbo4

thanks guys

by cookie_8v » Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:00 pm

Thanks Guys for all your comments, found out the part was actually faulty in the end, lukily I had another around and it fitted on in 5 mins. The faulty bit was just about 4mm out but meant the bolt didn't get all the way through.

Just need to undo the ring nut on the shock absorber housing, another fun and exciting job !

thanks again for all the comments, who would think it would be faulty when brand new, suppose that's what you get with pattened parts against oe
cookie_8v

by Phil » Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:25 pm

How much were your wishbones mate?
Phil

by fatbloater78 » Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:12 pm

phil i dont know how much they are elsewhere but you can get a pair on ebay for £30 buy it now price.and i cant remember the last time i went on a didnt see a couple of pairs at least.
fatbloater78

by Phil » Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:13 am

Nice one, thanks.
It's something that'll need doing soon enough, so time to save the ££'s.
Phil

by cookie_8v » Sat Feb 26, 2005 9:27 pm

guys got mine from <a href="http://www.buypartsby.co.uk/" target="_blank">http://www.buypartsby.co.uk/</a>very good prices but just ashame I had a faulty one
cookie_8v

by Blossey » Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:45 pm

They do seem to be good prices, a few quid cheaper than my local motor factors (11.61 compared to 14.95) for a turbo wishbone. Unfortunately the postage costs make them not so competitive, good site for getting general prices though.
Blossey