4x4 Turbo but Steering Rack Dead

Any issues relating to suspension, steering and brakes.

4x4 Turbo but Steering Rack Dead

by cookie_8v » Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:21 pm

Hi Guys

I am interested in a turbo that has come up for sale but part of the reason for the sale is that the power steering rack is dead but the transfer box etc are ok as vauxhall have checked recently.

Can anyone tell me if the 8v steering racks are compatible and what's worth looking for if I go to see it ?

Is replacing the steering rack much of a job apart from the bleeding bit ?

Thanks for any feedback

Dave
cookie_8v

by projectx » Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:59 pm

Are you sure it's the rack? Reason I ask is that the 4x4 and the PAS pressure system are linked, so if the power steering doesn't work, unless you *know* the 4x4 is OK, it could be (I think) the pressure seal on the 4x4 that's gone.

If the 4x4 is definately OK (test it, for gods sake, BEFORE you buy), then I think I've got a Turbo steering rack tucked away somewhere that I might sell, thought I don't know quite what I'd want for it yet.

Oh, and I seem to remember my mechanic saying the 8v and Turbo racks aren't the same.

And bear in mind they're not the easiest of things to change, as there's a lot of gubbins in front of them.
projectx

by cookie_8v » Sat Mar 05, 2005 1:14 am

thanks project. Not seen the car the guy just says that the racks dead, if it is the seal is this a big / expensive job or a p**s easy £2 seal type thing ?

PS Whats the best way to test the 4x4 ?

Thanks

Dave
cookie_8v

by projectx » Sun Mar 06, 2005 2:52 am

If the seal is gone, you're probably looking at a replacement TXB. These can be had on ebay for between 150 and 300 quid, but you've then got to get it fitted (which is a pain), and there's no guarantee how long it'll last obviously. Your next bext option is to get a warranted recon from a company like VTS, but they are something like 1200 fitted. So you can see why you need to make sure it's working first.

Ultimately, to test the 4x4, you just need to go for a quick blast, as even if the car is quite heavily modded, you'll have a real hard time getting *any* wheelspin, whereas if it's not working, you'll be able to get wheelspin quite easily even in one that's standard power.

There's a number of other tests you can do, though two spring to mind:

1) Put your foot on the brake pedal, and keep it there. Start the engine...Your 4x4 light should stay on. If it's still on after say 10 seconds, take your foot off the pedal, and I believe it should then go out.
2) Start the engine, run it for about a minute to allow the 4x4 system to charge with pressure...Switch the engine off...Remove the power steering fluid cap completely, leave the bonnet up, and start pumping the brake pedal. Each time you pump it, you should hear a loud hissing noise coming from the resevoir...Count how many of these you get. You should get around 25-30...Any more or any less is not great...

There are others on the forum that know a lot more then me, so I'll wait for them to reply, but at least you've got something to go with.
projectx

by debairaclijr » Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:23 pm

I changed the steering rack on my old XE, no, actually I hired a mate to change it whilst I stood there getting in the way. but anyway, it was a b***h to say the least.

I remember he had a little trade secret (borrowed by a mate at Masterfit), There is a rubber gromett under the nearside front wheel arch which is used to release the rack. But that maybe common knowledge.
debairaclijr