Brake fluid change

Any issues relating to suspension, steering and brakes.

Brake fluid change

by Rusty_CallyT » Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:53 pm

Its time i changed the fluid so shes safe on the road,

Whats the best fluid to use in a calibra turbo?

And what order do i bleed them in?

Cheers
Rusty_CallyT

by BenW » Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:55 pm

I've always understood it's necessary to bleed the fronts first on an ABS-equipped car - at least that's what I do! Not sure if it matters which order you do the left or right side though, I have just assumed not and my car still stops (ish) [img]/wink.gif[/img]

I use DOT4 fluid, largely because I have a big tub of the stuff lying around. I think it has a lower boiling temp than DOT5 (bad) but lasts longer before taking on too much moisture (good).

All of the above could be ********. It's just what I believe to be the case!
BenW

by BenW » Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:56 pm

Ah-ha, swear filter-tastic [img]/biggrin.gif[/img]
BenW

by dicky » Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:56 pm

It usually matters which wheel u do first, on the ABS system the two braking circuits are front and rear.

I would do the drivers side first then pasenger as the drivers side is furthest away.

DOT 4 is what is recodmanded by vauxhall. To make life easier there are a number of bleeding kits avalable to make the job alot easier.

Dicky
dicky

by Rusty_CallyT » Tue Mar 15, 2005 8:21 pm

gonna get an easy bleed thing that uses the spare tyre, run that at 20PSI and it should do the job, so DOT 4 the best plan then?
Rusty_CallyT

by dicky » Tue Mar 15, 2005 8:40 pm

Yeah, DOT4.
Also be carefull when loosening and re-tightnening off those caliper bleed screws as they are very easy to sheer off.
dicky

by Rusty_CallyT » Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:21 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-dicky+--><div class='quotetop'>(dicky)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Yeah, DOT4.
Also be carefull when loosening and re-tightnening off those caliper bleed screws as they are very easy to sheer off.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

yes i have heard all about that and it worries the hell out of me, any tips? gallons of penetrating oil? i have an air powered impact wrench lol might be a bit OTT for the job tho
Rusty_CallyT

by dicky » Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:28 pm

Oil wont do much but when u put the spanner on the bleed nipple giv the spanner a tap with a hammer just to loosen it a bit.

Just be very carefull when re-tightning them, dont go over the top.

U know that u have to bleed the systmem until there are no bubbles at all in the bleed hose and make sure u dont let the brake fluid tank go bellow the MIN line when bleeding the brakes.

Good luck

Dicky
dicky

by Monkey » Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:44 pm

Use a 6 sided spanner or socket rather than a 12, that'll reduce the chances of rounding the nut as well.
Monkey

by Rusty_CallyT » Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:57 pm

cheers for the info guys
Rusty_CallyT