How to bleed power steering?

Any issues relating to suspension, steering and brakes.

How to bleed power steering?

by gremlin » Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:06 pm

<!--coloro:black--><span style="color:black"><!--/coloro-->I get a funny noise every now and then from the power steering, the sort of noise you get if you get to the end of the steering travel. I have recently had the pas fluid changed and wonder if i could be because there is air in the system?<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

<!--coloro:black--><span style="color:black"><!--/coloro--> <!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

<!--coloro:black--><span style="color:black"><!--/coloro-->If it is how do i go about bleeding it?<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
gremlin

by Stupink » Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:31 pm

theres a bleeding guide on <a href="http://www.cav16.co.uk" target="_blank">www.cav16.co.uk</a> [img]/smile.gif[/img] its a pain to do in that just doing it once doesnt nessacarily do it.. lol.. try it a few times, and see if the noise goes away.. check the fluid level is correct also.. they might have over/underfilled it.(as all garages seem to do)
Toyota Mr-2 roadster turbo
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by gremlin » Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:36 pm

<!--fonto:Arial--><span style="font-family:Arial"><!--/fonto--><!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--coloro:black--><span style="color:black"><!--/coloro--><!--fonto:Arial--><span style="font-family:Arial"><!--/fonto-->Right i have got the below details of the site you mentioned but can i confirm i can do this with everything on the car as standard as the first note says about removing the txb?<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc--><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

<!--coloro:black--><span style="color:black"><!--/coloro--><!--fonto:Arial--><span style="font-family:Arial"><!--/fonto--><!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->I don’t want to have to take anything off or remove anything just bleed the system can i follow the instructions without removing anything just pull onto the drive and then start at step 551?<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc--><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->

<!--fonto:Arial--><span style="font-family:Arial"><!--/fonto-->This procedure assumes the removal procedure has been read and/or followed.
CAUTION: If you have followed the txb removal procedure, the gearbox may NOT have any oil in it - do not forget.
NOTE: The procedure here refers to bleeding the power steering system, which is also used to control the 4x4 transfer box. This system, and its oil, is absolutely nothing to do with the oil in the transfer box.<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->
<!--fonto:Arial--><span style="font-family:Arial"><!--/fonto-->550. Although not essential, it is good practise to have the front wheels off the ground for bleeding the steering system.<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->
551. Switch on the ignition and pump brake pedal at least 25 times or until any 'whooshing' in the accumulator stops. Switch off ignition and remove fuse 19.552. Open the bypass screw (Fig.7A) 3 turns on the top of the accumulator control block (photo).
<!--sizeo:1--><span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->3mm hex.<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->553. Fill the steering reservoir with DEXTRON II to the max. mark. Leave the reservoir cap off.
<!--sizeo:1--><span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->DEXTRON II - (approx. 1 Litre to fill system).<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->554. Start engine and immediately replenish the falling level to the minimum mark. Continue to run the engine for five minutes.555. With the engine still running, turn the steering to each stop and hold for five seconds. Repeat a number of times. Close the by-pass screw for 20 seconds and then open again for another 20 seconds and finally close. Switch off the engine and insert fuse 19.556. Switch the ignition on but do not start the engine. Operate the brake pedal 25 times. This recovers fluid from the accumulator back to the reservoir. Recheck the fluid level and adjust as required. Recheck by-pass screw is closed.557. Restart the engine and run for approximately one minute. Stop the engine. Turn the ignition on again, operate the brake pedal 25 times and recheck the reservoir oil level again. Replace reservoir cap.
gremlin

by Stupink » Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:43 pm

yeh, its just part of the txb remove/refit procedure, so theres no need to remove your txb [img]/wink.gif[/img] heheh.. it IS worth getting the wheels off the ground tho, if you really cant, do it on grass/mudd or gravel, if you have to do it on tarmac, drive the car up onto 2 pieces of wood or steel plates or something that will slide easy so you dont over stress and dry steer [img]/smile.gif[/img]
Toyota Mr-2 roadster turbo
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by gremlin » Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:29 am

Thanks stupink i will put it on some axel stands as i have to do some other bits at the same time.

Cheers
gremlin