Next job... brake upgrade

Any issues relating to suspension, steering and brakes.

Next job... brake upgrade

by debairaclijr » Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:48 pm

Any ideas on the best value for money upgrade to go for? Is it best to stick with GM oarts as i've seen a few sets on ebay....

Currently running on 16" BBS

Thanks all
debairaclijr

by projectx » Thu Mar 17, 2005 5:20 pm

I went for a complete set (i.e. all 4 wheels) of combi disc, pads and braided hoses for my Turbo made by Black Diamond. They're much better than the original setup I had. Cost me 300 all in from Rob on the forum (user 16vastra).
projectx

by Fostersice17 » Thu Mar 17, 2005 5:46 pm

Got tarox all round on mine with ebc pads,had the rears specially made.Cost me around £400 for the lot.Worth it in my opinion
Fostersice17

by debairaclijr » Mon Mar 21, 2005 2:47 pm

thanks chaps,

looking on Autovaux, they have two sizes of front discs (288x25/256x24) any ideas if the larger od the two will fit without upgrading the calipers?
debairaclijr

by Chavtastic » Mon Mar 21, 2005 3:59 pm

LMF are meant to be good. They do a 308mm kit with calipers, discs and pads for £320 odd IIRC

That black diamond setup sounds good! [img]/smile.gif[/img]

I'm gonna do mine in a couple of months
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by debairaclijr » Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:38 am

Will 308 fit in 16" alloys? without caliper upgrades? if so cool.

Now... where can I get some of those for about half that price?

Will these do the trick?: <a href="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=23013&item=7962968624&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW" target="_blank">http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...ssPageName=WDVW</a>

Thanks again
debairaclijr

by Chavtastic » Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:19 am

<!--QuoteBegin-debairaclijr+--><div class='quotetop'>(debairaclijr)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Will 308 fit in 16" alloys?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well Vectra GSi's have 308's but I'm not sure what size wheels they have, probably 17s? Hmmmm
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by debairaclijr » Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:46 pm

I dunno actually, thought the GSI's came with 16's, will have to do some digging around.

Any comments on those ones on ebay (link above)?

And what about upgrading to 6pot turbo calipers (2nd hand obviously)?
debairaclijr

by projectx » Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:58 pm

Vectra GSi's have 17's AFAIK.
projectx

by projectx » Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:59 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-CalibraTurbo99+--><div class='quotetop'>(CalibraTurbo99)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->LMF are meant to be good. They do a 308mm kit with calipers, discs and pads for £320 odd IIRC

That black diamond setup sounds good! [img]/smile.gif[/img]

I'm gonna do mine in a couple of months<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well I'm certainly pleased with them. My car stops so well now it's throwing an ECU light on if I hit the pedal hard as I think it's dislodging a wire somewhere. I'm probably not as demanding as some on their brakes, but when I need them, I've always got more brake force than I need.

Takes a while to get used to the grinding sound you get because of the grooved discs [img]/smile.gif[/img]
projectx