Camber Correction?

Any issues relating to suspension, steering and brakes.

Camber Correction?

by jimbohotpants » Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:54 pm

I want to lower my cally 30mm. It seems to me that most of you guys prefer some decent Koni struts with some Eibach springs. Being new to this lark I haven't got hold of the kit yet, but will do soon. In the meantime I have a couple o questions:

1. Is this kind of set-up spine shatteringly hard, or will it be OK on my stoney drive (opinions only I know, but anything's better than nothing!)

2. (and ,most importantly!) With 30-35mm drop, will I need camber adjustment? I've heard that you can probably get away with 25mm without adjustment..... wondered if 30mm's pushing it!

Your thoughts please people!
Cheers :beer:
jimbohotpants

by red16V » Sat Mar 19, 2005 3:09 am

I've been having words with people and one of my friends used to have 18" OZ Chrono Evo's on his Cally. He lowered it 60mm on standard (but newly replaced) shocks. He got 6,000 miles out of the tyres before the insides went Schumacher on him.

I'd say that the camber kit is worth doing if you're putting alloys on it, but anything over 17" and i think you'll probably run into difficulties with the arches.

Mine's lowered 60mm on standard GSI rims and i haven't bothered with the camber bushes - it grips the bo**ocks round corners and so far the tyres show no excessive wear on them!

Hope this helps.
red16V

by projectx » Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:24 am

My Turbo is down 35mm, on 17's, with relatively tough-sidewall tyres (P7000's), and in my opinion still provides a comfortable ride. It's obviously more juddery than the stock setup, but in my opinion half the point of changing your setup is to get a more communicative ride at the end of it.
projectx

by Stupink » Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:51 am

If you set the koni's (presuming they're the ajustable ones) to full stiffness it will be bone shattering, on full soft they're quite bearable, and makes a good seutp.. I have mine on full hard atm. lol. but i did a fair bit of track day etc... I will be slackening off the rears a touch but probably leaving fronts the same

as for correctors, if you have a 4x4 then its something you need to look into definately doing.. get a 4wheel alignment to confirm if you wish.. if you have a 2wd then its just a matter of whether or not your happy with how many tyres it will munch, mine was eibach and on the std 16's it really did take the edges out, now with correctors on and 17's i hve no real problem, yes they do wear more on the inside, but they DO wear on the outside too unlike before lol.. the previous owner also killed a couple of 4x4 boxes because of the drop without correctors. so im not naive enough anymore to think you can get away with it.
Toyota Mr-2 roadster turbo
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by jimbohotpants » Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:53 am

Cheers for the info peeps. I've got 18" Dare V2s on mine now, but the offset is perfect for Vx so would there still be a problem with camber correction/arches? Also, what suspension you got on your Turbo ProjectX? I agree with the communication lark;)
jimbohotpants

by jimbohotpants » Sat Mar 19, 2005 11:00 am

Thanks too Stupink. I dont have a 4x4 (more's the pity), just your avarage ecotec (not interested in swappin engine out at this point before anyone says anythin![img]/wink.gif[/img] Do you think if I drop the old girl 30mm then I'd have the same tyre trouble? How far did you drop yours?
jimbohotpants

by projectx » Sat Mar 19, 2005 11:08 am

<!--QuoteBegin-jimbohotpants+--><div class='quotetop'>(jimbohotpants)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Cheers for the info peeps. I've got 18" Dare V2s on mine now, but the offset is perfect for Vx so would there still be a problem with camber correction/arches? Also, what suspension you got on your Turbo ProjectX? I agree with the communication lark;)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Were on there when I got them, so not 100% sure, but Lowline springs and Bilstein shocks.
projectx

by Stupink » Sat Mar 19, 2005 2:12 pm

With no 4x4 and only 30mm i'd be tempted to drop it, and then get the camber measured, and just munch your way through your first set of tyres to see how bad it is.. I don't think that many non-4x4 people bother in the slightest when they drop them tbh.. see how the tyres go [img]/smile.gif[/img]
Toyota Mr-2 roadster turbo
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by jimbohotpants » Sat Mar 19, 2005 7:12 pm

That sounds like a plan Stupink!
Could do with matching the rears with the fronts anyway one of these days! I don't like odd pairs much
jimbohotpants

by widget » Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:11 am

Hi,

don't want to hijack someone elses thread - but seemed quite fitting to my problem.

I have the camber problem on my standard setup V6 - the inside edges have worn off both rear tyres.

It was suggested new springs would solve the problem - the car has sagged at the rear - as when I went for an M0T the headlamps were "suddenly" to high!

Somebody is persuading me to lower the car - and thus new suspension solve the camber problem - I don't see how this is correct?

Also, I do 600 miles a week - my teeth will fall out if the rides too hard - and also my drive is quite steep - and I live in speed bump city!

The V6 is already quite a bit lower than the 16v as standard - I could live with a small drop (maybe not more than 30mm) but not a bone crunching ride.

Is there anyway to lower slightly, improve handling, and solve the camber problem?

I notice Koni kits are not available generally for the V6.....

cheers

Graham
widget

by jimbohotpants » Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:00 am

It strikes me, from what I gather, that if your car's sagged at the back, then it's already lowered! The same effect will probably be seen on 'properly' lowered suspension I reckon. If you want to get rid of the camber problem then you'll probably need to bring the ride height back to normal, or get a correction kit.... or there's another way that I've seen but it's quite a lot of work for the non-technical/-experienced. On the other hand, if the ride heght's sagged quite far, ie more than 30mm, then it may improve things bringing it UP to just 30mm. Either way it sounds like you'll need to bring the rear height up a bit really.

Hope this helps [img]/smile.gif[/img]
jimbohotpants

by Daf » Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:43 am

Hi

This sounds silly but iv'e been told that if you'r car sags then putting new suspension on and a camber kit on wont do a bit of difference to the tyres wearing on the inside. To solve it you need to measure the outside diameter of your rear springs then go to your nearast caravan dealer and ask for some "caravan spring assistors" of the same diameter then jack your car up so the springs are fully relaxed cover the assistors in fairy liquid and slip them in. I will be trying this soon on my turbo will let you no how it goes

Cheers
Daf

by King Calibra » Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:50 pm

I'm in Germany, and I can't seem to find anyone that carries a rear camber kit for the calibra... Somebody please help.
King Calibra

by Maverick » Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:18 am

Jimbo, with the fact that you don't have a turbo and that you are only planning to lower 30 mm I cannot see this really being a problem. Mine is lowered 40 mm and you can see a noticable amount of negative camber from behind. It's not massive but it is noticeable. I so far have no complaints with wear and I have driven to Hook and to the Lake District on this set. On my old set I drove several thousand miles and did not notice any major problems. I think out of choice, I would leave the camber alone myself and just let it sit as it does when lowered. A little negative camber may give more rear end grip in the bends anyway.

With regard to comfort, as you have 18's on there, it will be more jittery than standard, but in my humble opinion that's better. Sometimes, harsh bumps can get annoying, but it's only crappy road texture which notices in my car anyway. Otherwise it drives smooth as silk, provides a much more sure footed ride and handles like b***h lol. I have been speechless by the way my car grips and handles since lowering. I don't understand where it has all come from. With my original setup on Turbo 16's and standard suspension it could become quite wallowy and susceptible to understeer in the wet. The traction conrtrol light was on and off like a whores draws on certain cambered roundabouts in the wet. Now it feels incredible in all conditions and I rarely see the light come on. I use Federal tyres also if that's any help.
Maverick

by Maverick » Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:29 am

<!--QuoteBegin-King Calibra+--><div class='quotetop'>(King Calibra)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I'm in Germany, and I can't seem to find anyone that carries a rear camber kit for the calibra... Somebody please help.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Does this help at all matie?

<a href="http://www.clubcalibra.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9410" target="_blank">http://www.clubcalibra.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9410</a>
Maverick

Next