Fed up with the knocking

Any issues relating to suspension, steering and brakes.

Fed up with the knocking

by projectx » Sat Mar 19, 2005 11:24 am

OK, searched around, lots of possible solutions, but can't make my mind up. For 6 months now, my front wheels have felt loose (they're not actually loose) in as much as if I go over bumps, particularly when accelerating quite hard, they seem to jiggle around over the road a lot more than they used to. I also get a clonk when going from one lock to the other to back into a packing space, and occasionally when pulling out of a side-road as I start to straighten up. This started occuring around the same time.

A few months prior to this problem starting, I'd had the track rod ends and full wishbones changed on both sides, so while it's possible one of these has failed, it's not likely.

Basically, I don't know what else there is up the front end (other than springs and shocks as I don't think it's that) that could cause looseness in the front wheels. My mechanic has jacked it up, wiggled it all around etc. etc. a few times, and can't find anything, and he's usually pretty good at finding stuff, but I was hoping someone could give me something to go with, as I've sat on this problem for months, and frankly, I want my handling back [img]/smile.gif[/img]

Help [img]/smile.gif[/img]
projectx

by icewizard » Sat Mar 19, 2005 11:33 am

I've had the same problem with my old car and I also changed wishbones, track rod ends and springs shocks. Feels very loose still.

The only thing I have not changed is the sttearing rack. Could this be the problem.
icewizard

by projectx » Sat Mar 19, 2005 11:52 am

<!--QuoteBegin-icewizard+--><div class='quotetop'>(icewizard)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I've had the same problem with my old car and I also changed wishbones, track rod ends and springs shocks. Feels very loose still.

The only thing I have not changed is the sttearing rack. Could this be the problem.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I doubt it, it just doesn't feel like that...Not saying it's not that, but that doesn't seem like the answer to me.

Anybody else?
projectx

by Kieran_Burns » Sat Mar 19, 2005 12:31 pm

Can't help but think you missed the obvious one... CV joint?

Can you physically move the drive shaft on either wheel? (in and out) Has the CV boot split? Is there a load of gunk all over the inside rim of the wheel?
Kieran_Burns

by projectx » Sat Mar 19, 2005 1:10 pm

I know what a knackered CV joint sounds like (had several on other cars in the past), and it doesn't sound like that, but I must admit, I don't specifically remember looking. I'll try and check into that.
projectx

by ecosseM » Sat Mar 19, 2005 1:15 pm

gota ask, is the car lowered? av saw front shock loosenin off b4. jack up and check for play, easy enough to do, 5min job. knocking and front end normaly bottom arms and link-rods though.
ecosseM

by projectx » Sat Mar 19, 2005 1:19 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-ecosseM+--><div class='quotetop'>(ecosseM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->gota ask, is the car lowered? av saw front shock loosenin off b4. jack up and check for play, easy enough to do, 5min job. knocking and front end normaly bottom arms and link-rods though.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yep it's lowered 35mm, but IIRC we've already checked the shocks for looseness...Will bear it in mind though.

Aren't the "bottom arms" just another name for wishbones? If so, they were changed for new ones 6 months ago.

Link-rods...That's a new term to me...Care to elaborate a bit, as maybe we've found something [img]/smile.gif[/img]
projectx

by ecosseM » Sat Mar 19, 2005 1:26 pm

6months ago, means nowt, av got a cavalier td and i was getting knocking noises from it link rod on one side, bottom arm/wishbone on the other, never changed the n/s coz it looked ok and rather new, knocking noise stayed with me though. so i thiught sod it, got the arm there, lets change it, only takes an hour max. that fixed it
ecosseM

by projectx » Sat Mar 19, 2005 1:32 pm

Yeah I know new parts don't mean no problems, but I wanted to eliminate other things first before I start replacing bits I've already replaced if possible... [img]/smile.gif[/img]

Any chance of elaborating more on the link-rods?
projectx

by BenW » Sat Mar 19, 2005 1:41 pm

Anti-rollbar links, I think he's referring to (forgive me if not). They're what physically fixes the ARB to the lower arm, and are a really common fault. I replaced one last year (£30 ish from Vauxhall), transformed the handling and suddenly no clunks!

Now the other side has gone on mine...jacked her up only to discover the whole link was completely missing! I also have a worn top mount, could be something else worth checking on yours?

Mine has so many bumps and clunks that I don't need a stereo - got all the beats per minute I can handle [img]/smile.gif[/img]
BenW

by projectx » Sat Mar 19, 2005 4:39 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-BenW+--><div class='quotetop'>(BenW)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Anti-rollbar links, I think he's referring to (forgive me if not). They're what physically fixes the ARB to the lower arm, and are a really common fault. I replaced one last year (£30 ish from Vauxhall), transformed the handling and suddenly no clunks!

Now the other side has gone on mine...jacked her up only to discover the whole link was completely missing! I also have a worn top mount, could be something else worth checking on yours?

Mine has so many bumps and clunks that I don't need a stereo - got all the beats per minute I can handle [img]/smile.gif[/img]<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Maybe you do need a stereo, to mask the noise [img]/smile.gif[/img]

Seriously though, I've suspected the links, but the problem is I don't know what they look like under the car so I don't know what I've been looking for. I know what the wishbones look like, and the track rod ends, but not the roll bar links [img]/sad.gif[/img]
projectx

by Chavtastic » Mon Mar 21, 2005 4:03 pm

Yes wishbones are the same as lower arms.

The roll bar links are two types, early cally's are as follows:

On the end of the anti-roll bar, it's a kind of upside-down "U" shaped plastic clip which then bolts onto the wishbone.

Did your new wishbones come with balljoints fitted? If not then it could be these!

Failing the balljoint / anti-roll bar faults then it will either be a loose subframe (unlikely), wheel bearing (very unlikely) or part of the steering rack loose and hitting the subframe.

I have seen all of the above on Calibra's but my money is on the anti-roll bar drop links [img]/smile.gif[/img]
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net