Antirol bar bushes

Any issues relating to suspension, steering and brakes.

Antiroll bar bushes

by Animal » Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:12 am

How much is it usually at a garage to get these fitted? Also how much do they cost themselves. I've read how tricky they can be to fit, and due to lack of patience I think I'll let someone else do it. lol.
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by ChrisMk1 » Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:24 am

Not much mate just had mine done yesterday when had tracking checked.

think they may be £5 for them and 1/2 for fitting time.
best access is on a car lift to get under the car.

Chris.
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by dicky » Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:15 pm

Is it the end linkages u talking about with the ball joints and rubber bushes? They so easy to do ur self, i paid £4 for each link and it made alot of diference handling wise.
dicky

by Animal » Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:40 pm

I woz talking about the ones on the bar, I tihnk there are four of them. But thinking about it I might do them ones too.
I'm wanting to replace every thing like that that might cause me a problem in the future, and the handlings feeling a little sloppy and I remember reading a thread on here somewhere about it can be the bushes. So i thought it is a good place to start.
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Animal » Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:34 pm

I've just read on .com the guide to changing them, and noticed it says there is a difference between earlier and later types, how much easier does it make it?
Anyone shed any light one it?
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by ROG » Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:30 pm

If youve got the later ones its dead easy, they just bolt on to the anti rol bar, but the early ones were a push on fit that was difficult to remove unless you take a grinder to the side of them.
ROG

by Animal » Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:18 pm

mines a 97 so will it be the later ones i gather?
[img]/biggrin.gif[/img]
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by ROG » Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:03 pm

should be, my k reg has the push on and m reg the bolt on, but might be different for different models
ROG

by Animal » Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:13 pm

I cant find anything in the haynes about changing them. Is it just a case of unbolt and bolt new ones on?
Excuse me if I sound a bit thik. lol.
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by ROG » Mon Mar 28, 2005 7:05 pm

If there the bolt on ones, after youve taken the wheel off you undo the bottom nut under the wishbone, and you need 2 spanners to undo the other bit as the ball in the ball link turns round but there is a flat for a spanner on it, one spanner on there and one on the nut and just unscrew it, put the new one on with the new rubber bits to the wishbone and tighten up.
dead easy, i mean like 5-10 min, just spray wd40 on the nuts first.
ROG

by Animal » Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:39 pm

Ill be having a trip to get some of them then! [img]/biggrin.gif[/img]
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by dicky » Tue Mar 29, 2005 2:43 am

If ur gonna change the end ball joints if u buy a non vauxhall part then u cant allways use a spanner to tighten the balljoint nut.

So to get round this grip the ball joint and roll bar with some grips while u tighten the nut.

When trying to locate the joint into the lower arm a jack can be used, placed under the lower arm balljoint to rasie the suspension.

The bottom part with the rubber bushes should be tightened so that the washers have a certain compresion on the bushes.

The distance between the top and bottom of the two bushes should be between 38mm and 39mm.
This should be done with the suspension at full travel.
dicky

by Animal » Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:25 pm

All done today! Got soaked in the process cos it threw it down half way through me doing it! Handles a lot better now! Cheers for the advice!
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Animal » Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:18 am

Also how critical is it to tighten them spot on? I'm not sure how much I tightened them. I just did them till they looked tight.
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by ROG » Tue Apr 05, 2005 7:46 am

i did mine till they looked right too!
ROG

Next