Seat busted, MOT failure, to repaire or to replace?

Exterior & Interior Styling.

Seat busted, MOT failure, to repaire or to replace?

by Thomas77GR » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:28 pm

Hello
My driver's seat is broken underneath on the side next to the middle console (the break is I think between the seat and the rail) which means that you can rock the seat easily (lifts a bit on the rear left corner) even though the securing bolts are tight.

This has resulted in a MOT failure (along other problems). The garage basically told me that they can't be bothered to fix my seat and told me to sort it out elsewhere.

So what can I do? do I need a new seat? I have the beige leather type. The seat leather trim is actually fine which is a shame if I have to replace the whole seat. Can I just swap the under frame/rail for the driver's seat? would the rails off another vauxhall fit?
what about the pretensioner - I haven't looked there but by reading on the net I think I need a plastic thingie/fork in order to take y seat out for further inspection?

Can I just wrap a zip tie around the busted area and secure it like that just to pass the MOT for now and then look at it at later stage?

I am based in Scotland, Aberdeen.. any Cali owners up that way that could call round and share their wisdome with a novice?
thanks
Thomas
Thomas77GR

Re: Seat busted, MOT failure, to repaire or to replace?

by v6 steve » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:30 pm

take it off an get it welded up, the plastic fork should be on the back of the pretensioner its red so you should see it ok
steve
Chairman

The Drain

LE 4x4 turbo

SE2 4x4 turbo RIP
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net