Mystery noise *solved*

Exterior & Interior Styling.

Mystery noise *solved*

by Adrian » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:20 pm

Pulling away from home last night I was immediately aware of a worrying new noise that sounded like something was up with the engine. It was, however, clearly inside the car! It was a kind of rasping induction sound that only got loud under acceleration. Revving the engine out of gear didn't make the noise.

So I spent a while today looking around for the cause - starting with the vacuum stuff like brake servo and induction pipes. Everything seemed OK. Then, with my head under the dash checking the brake piston, I noticed light coming through the bulkhead above! All that happened was a rubber bung had come out of the bulkhead leaving a 30mm hole through which all the sounds from the engine bay were getting inside. Sounded pretty good under hard acceleration too - shame to bung it up again :)

hole.jpg
hole.jpg (42 KiB) Viewed 5907 times
Adrian

Re: Mystery noise *solved*

by MadOnVaux! » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:16 pm

I had the same thing on a Cav i had....i didnt have the bung though, just duck taped it :)
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Adrian » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:02 pm

Duck tape - you mean this stuff? :lol:

I meant to add to this post the fact that this hole will be handy for getting extra wiring through the bulkhead. I remember having to take the glove box out to get wires through the other side of the dash. Here's an unused hole ready to go! (unless it has some other use on other models).
Adrian

by MarkSE7 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:02 pm

I dont suppose anyone can find me a part number for this plug, as mine is missing?
MarkSE7

by Adrian » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:24 am

MarkSE7 wrote:I dont suppose anyone can find me a part number for this plug, as mine is missing?

The plug I used was a standard wall-box bung (for the metal boxes behind mains sockets). Picked up a bag of them for 50p from a B&Q clearout sale. Damn fiddly getting it in the bulkhead hole because of the column and clutch pedal box being in the way.
Adrian