Having a pop at making sets of touring badges

Exterior & Interior Styling.

Having a pop at making sets of touring badges

by Richiem » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:51 pm

As some guys may know i got the idea into my head a while back to set about trying to mould and make sets of touring badges for the dtm/ le version cars.. Ive moulded the original badges of mine ( the 3d ones) and then set about finding the right material to mould the badges..
In right now in the process of moulding my first attempt so will have the results soonish.
Seems good so far but quite abit of work . Have alreay got the right material for the yellow finish and have recovered my original badges on the car with good results.. Fingers crossed, they will look pucker! If they come out looking 100% then i might be up for doing copies for other owners who might want copies to keep, I will only be adding the cost of making them to guys who need them for the cars.. The original idea came as a very good pal gave me his badges to finish my car as it came with them missing and i wanted to replace his he gave me . ( decent fella)
Cheers all
Club Member
Club Member

Re: Having a pop at making sets of touring badges

by Richiem » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:36 pm

Have made them out of the same plastic as the original badges and covered them in vynl like them also.
Looking mint right now tbh. Just got to get the moulding process 100% as the first go showed me a few faults ,
Second batch setting now and hopefully spot on ..
Liking what i see right now tbh.. Not sure if you see the ones i recovered on my le but they came out wicked!!
Club Member
Club Member

by Richiem » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:46 pm

First go came out ok , some imperfections as expected but pretty good for first pop.
Just need to correct the technique a touch and they will be nice..
This is how they will look when finished
Club Member
Club Member

by Richiem » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:52 pm

Just need to go deeper with the liquid to prevent the rough edges seen above. Will be cleaned up nicley before covering. them sticky backed like mine on car. Tbh, cant tell the difference once fitted. Will work out a rate for them as quite alot of work involved but it wont be alot .=seeing as they are near impossible to find anymore.. Unless you want the flat badges or the stickers!
Club Member
Club Member

by rich30mex » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:58 pm

looking well smart rich hurry up and get mine in the post :D
THE TEA BAG Calibra l,e number 4
THE WELLY rio verdi ecotec on a N reg
UNCLE ALBERT gray 8v on a J reg

Best engine bay 2011
Best engine bay 2014
Best in show 2016
Treasures cup 2016
Best engine bay 2017
Best modern retro total retro 2018

mag features
practical classics
modern classic
performance vauxhall

Have car have cloth will clean need life
Events Coordinator
Events Coordinator

by John Owens » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:46 pm

Looking good Richie , I'd be interested in a set too :)
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Chavtastic » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:40 am

Excellent
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Richiem » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:42 pm

First one finished after cutting out the surface sticker by hand and finishing of the edges with very fine sanding paper.
Tbh, its a lot of work especially the transfer cutting by hand with a scalpel . Just got to add the sticky pad on the reverse and ready to go The results are awesome tho and worth all the effort.
Just compared this to the one on my le and its identical..
I am gonna be selling these on once ive got enough sets finished and ive worked out a price for them , i will be doing better rates for club members ( obviously ) But to the rest of the world ill be looking at around £70 a set . Seeing as there are absolutely impossible to buy anywere now and they are so spot on replicas and take a lot of work to finish ( by hand) I think that should be a fair rate to ask!
Dont really want every corsa owner in the uk sticking these all over there cars and i think anyone who wants the real deal for there project would find that price good for something so rare..
Probably be wanting about £35 for .net members which im hoping would be exceptable..
Views welcome but keep in mind they are totally as good as the real deal and take alot of work and time to finish perfectly and i make each one like its going on my own car..
Last edited by Richiem on Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Club Member
Club Member

by Phill » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:52 pm

Looking good mate and at that price range I would have a set.
Phill.
Gold Club Member
Gold Club Member

by Richiem » Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:51 pm

Had a slight set back with these badges, seems that after 2 days, the vinyl covering is getting air bubbles underneath which i can explain??
Im guessing that theres some kind of reaction and its causing gasses bubbles to form under there!
Time to get thinking! Maybe ill need to cover the surface in something to prevent this! Never had this on my original ones!
Luckily not sold any yet LOL
Club Member
Club Member

by v6 steve » Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:26 pm

could you not use some sort of yellow resin in stead
steve
Chairman

The Drain

LE 4x4 turbo

SE2 4x4 turbo RIP
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Richiem » Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:46 pm

Not sure steve, the original ones have a vinyl covering and ive copied that idea, I did notice when removing the covering of the original badge that there was a sheen to the surface so im wondering if there was some sort of protection layer on there to stop a reaction maybe.? Im trying right now to coat them with a plastic primmer and test again. Pain really cos its not easy covering them with the vinyl and cutting them by hand and i have 6 badges to recover . Booo!
Club Member
Club Member

by rich30mex » Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:33 pm

Use a hair dryer and some thing to push the vynal down I once had the same problem with something simaler the guy who sold me the vynal told me to slightly warm the vynal and work the air out it worked and worked good the vynal is still on it
THE TEA BAG Calibra l,e number 4
THE WELLY rio verdi ecotec on a N reg
UNCLE ALBERT gray 8v on a J reg

Best engine bay 2011
Best engine bay 2014
Best in show 2016
Treasures cup 2016
Best engine bay 2017
Best modern retro total retro 2018

mag features
practical classics
modern classic
performance vauxhall

Have car have cloth will clean need life
Events Coordinator
Events Coordinator

by Richiem » Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:08 pm

Will try that rich, funny cos when i first put it on, there not a blemish on them and they look sweet till the next day. Im wondering if they are shrinking or some thing as they look rippled aswell??
Never happened to the first set i did on the original badges which is whats making me think they might of been treated before
fitting! Thy did have a shining coating on them i noticed :wink:
Club Member
Club Member

by Richiem » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:36 pm

After alot of research i have solved the issue i believe . It seems after talking to the resin makers. the resin gives of vapour for at least a week after they are made and this causes the clash with the glue on vinyl.#
Been advised to leave badges for over a week to prevent this happening,
Have no made up loads of sets to leave out the settle while im on holiday so they should be sweet when i return.
Have sold a set already and have received a good few orders from over seas ( germany ect)
Have set the prices now at £30 for club members and £45 for outside club.
Will be listing on ebay also..
Obviously overseas buyers will have a bit more to pay as for cost sending them out.
I have some sets i casted around a week ago so il try and get them finished before i go on holiday so i can maybe get them out for trax on the 7th..
Club Member
Club Member

Next