Guide to removing EGR and SAI on a Calibra ecotec X20XEV

Guide to removing EGR and SAI on a Calibra ecotec X20XEV

by Chavtastic » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:58 pm

Hello.

Here's a standard Calibra ecotec coilpack mounting plate (labelled 3), with the "ecotec s***e" attached to it (labelled 1 and 2)

Part 1 is SAI (secondary air injection). This allows air into the exhaust manifold to help combust unburned fuel, and warm the cat up quicker.

Part 2 is EGR (exhaust gas recirculation)

Part 3 is the coilpack mounting plate, the bit we will be changing

Here is a coilpack mounting plate from a Z20LET engine with no holes for either of the above, allowing them to be removed. The casting is otherwise very similar and only held on by 3 bolts.

Z20LET doesn't appear to have a sender in this part for the temperature gauge, so it's blanked off with a plug that is a **** to remove. I found I had to WD40 it repeatedly then heat it up before hammering a 1/4" imperial socket onto it which bit hard enough to remove it.

Standard Calibra/Cavalier sender then fitted a treat. You will need a Calibra/Cav CTS (your orignal one) as Z20LET one has a different plug.

You will also need the 4 coilpack bolts from your original setup as the Z20LET doesn't have a coilpack. You will also need a new gasket (£1.40 from Vauxhall) and you will have to do something about the holes in your manifold for the EGR... so fit a non-EGR X20XEV manifold, or a Lexmaul one like I've done.

You can also take the opportunity to ditch Vauxhalls standard hose clips for jubilee ones.

Rumour has it a C18XE plate also fits.

The result is a much simplified engine for not a lot of money, and hopefully a small power gain.

Ben
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

Re: Guide to removing EGR and SAI on a Calibra ecotec X20XEV

by matty0785 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:27 pm

less to go wrong is always good
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

Re: Guide to removing EGR and SAI on a Calibra ecotec X20XEV

by Calibra_Mike » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:24 am

what about emissions for mot? are they affected?
VXT RACING DEVELOPMENTS - Designed by Vauxhall... Modified by Me...
The VXT Calibra, back on the road Oct'13... the Adventure Continues...
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net