Poor performance since adding uprated fuel pump

Poor performance since adding uprated fuel pump

by Richiem » Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:32 pm

Since ive added the uprated fuel pump , over the last week or so , shes now started being a right pain to start needing a good few goes and pedal pushed to start which then gives alot of smoke from the rear , and also some hard backfires from the back after a wee bit of pushing! Tbh, she pull right hard but if you come of the boost and try again then all hell breaks loose with dips and dives and missfires with dark smoke from the back!
Took out the plugsImage
These were clean 3 weeks ago??
Clened them up and refitted and drove better but still getting missfires when coming of the boost,
Im guessing the car is over fueling as she wasnt doing this before i fitted the uprated 255 pump. Did i miss something out?
A few folks have said that fitting an uprated pump to a standard car will cause this to happen!
Surley the regulator would stop that tho?? Am i wrong??
Do i now need to alter something else to solve the problem??
Cheers rich
Club Member
Club Member

Re: Poor performance since adding uprated fuel pump

by KERR_SE9 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:29 pm

Have you tried an air flow meter?
Try driving with it unplugged, if it allows you
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Richiem » Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:44 pm

yer will try that. I did change it a while ago john as i thought is was causing another fault so i have another here also. Im getting no codes or lights up so guessing its the only thing ive changed! Dam car is doing my swede in buddy lol
Club Member
Club Member

by Richiem » Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:57 pm

Wasnt sure untill now tbh it was fuel related but now it seems to have got worst very suddenly ( since its gotten colder) After seeing the plugs were covered in soot it sort of became more likely .
Thought i had this nailed tbh as it was ok until just the other day but now shes a right git to start ect Some of the back fires are like shot gun blast with a huge amount of dark smoke! lol
Drives really nice after the blast tho!! haha
got to admit, im still confused as to why the fuel pressure gauge needle is shaking around between 3 bar and 3.2 ?? Use to sit steady at 2.8
Club Member
Club Member

by Richiem » Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:35 pm

I suppose it could be not the pump doing this but the weather? I changed the pump around 2 weeks ago and tbh, didnt have all this until just the other day when it got really cold here. Now ive sat and thought it over i had this same crap last year when it got cold and never really solved it! Could be over fuelling due to sensor readings/ The only thing that goes against that thought is im sure ive changed all the sensors related to this cause. I have done the cts/ lambda/ afm/ Not sure if theres anything else ive missed that could be causing the car to over fuel when really cold outside?
Club Member
Club Member

by Richiem » Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:49 pm

I guess another set of plugs wont be a bad idea either! Could explain the starting problems and the misfire i guess!
Ive cleaned them up but they were right bad when i removed em! Not sure how long the standard turbo plugs last but they have been in for a year and covered around 200 miles
Club Member
Club Member

by Richiem » Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:03 pm

Yer make you right , only done a while ago from autovaux but maybe a have a iffy one
Club Member
Club Member

by vec 160 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:49 pm

you may have to adjust the fuel pressure regulator(if it is adjustable) as it looks like the fuel pump is supplying too much fuel, as the pressure has gone up from a steady 2.8bar to 3.2bar. It sounds like the FPR isn't allowing enough to leak back to the tank
Gold Club Member
Gold Club Member

by Richiem » Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:41 pm

Thats what made me instantly think something was up when i added the new pump! The gauge is set in place on the feed pipe work to the rail and i noticed it doesnt sit steady and judders around were as before it was sitting bang on steady with the old pump! Its hard to see what its actually at as its flickering around the 2.8 - 3.2 mark very quickly!
Club Member
Club Member

by tosh1985 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:46 am

Having this sort if problem myself as been mad at it with the xev Courtney turbo all weekend it seems to be juddering like mad when ya give it a little throttle.. Spoke to a few Vauxhall petrol heads and getting some different oppinions one been by the michanic that mot'd it (Vauxhall mad head) that told me I need a updated fuel pump to help it as it's still a standard 2ltr pump,
I am far from a michanic just like to be hands on myself but I've noticed a difference in my spark plugs and your, mine seem to be beefier on the end and four prongs not one, (also Bosch)
Would the effect the performance that the upgraded pump is now surplying??
It may sound like a stupid question to some but goda find out some how ant you lol
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Callyman » Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:31 am

Upgrading the fuel pump won't give any performance gains over a good std pump if running same pressure at fuel rail.
Details on how to join the club---Click me
Club Memberships
Club Memberships

by Tkeenan2107 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:14 am

would the best way of sorting the air/fuel mixture be a remap or just a tune up? im sure a simple tune up would be beneficial, just to have the right mixture of each.?
I'm gonna find me a reckless woman,
Razor blades and dice in her eyes,
Just a touch of sadness in her fingers,
Thunder and lightening in her thighs.

Terry
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Stupink » Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:33 pm

In tank pump or external pump?
Did you retain the fuel pressure damper?

Trouble starting on first key will most likely be due to a lack of fuel non-return valve, most oem pumps have them built in, most aftermarket pumps dont.. so you can fit a non-return valve (ebay sytec fuel injection one way valve) near the pump end to maintain pressure in the rail after switch off.

won't be the issue with wobbly boost tho, could be the damper, poor pickup, return into the swirl pot, poor vacuum supply to the regulator(is it stable if you remove the vac hose)..
Toyota Mr-2 roadster turbo
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

Next